How to get to/from the Intl Airport in Rio (GIG)

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

How to get to/from the Intl Airport in Rio (GIG) Rio de Janeiro Reviews

MalenaN MalenaN
Taxi from the airport Mar 03, 2017
I was supposed to arrive very early to Rio and had than planned to take the airport bus to Copacabana. However, because of delays I missed my connection and had to fly the following day. As I now arrived in the evening and I was very tired and didn't know how safe it was to walk from the bus stop to the hotel I decided to take a taxi.

Just as you enter the arrival hall there is a taxi booth and on the wall there is a sign with the cost of taxi rides to different locations in Rio. If you have a big bag it cost more. I had a small and a large backpack and therefore the price was R$ 88 (June 2016) to my hotel in Copacabana.

I was taken to a taxi, and I got one receipt and the taxi driver got one too. The taxi ride to Copacabana took less than 45 minutes. During rush hours it takes much longer, but I was traveling after nine in the evening.
In Rio de Janeiro, on top of Sugar…
MalenaN says:
Thank you John! I haven't written many reviews here on TB, and I am not sure yet that I will. Still haven't worked out how everything works here, and guess I compare it with VT.
Posted on: Mar 11, 2017
johngayton says:
Very useful review.
Posted on: Mar 10, 2017
MalenaN says:
Well, I didn't like that I had to pay more just because I had luggage! But it is good to find taxi booths just outside the arrival hall with fixed prices.
Posted on: Mar 06, 2017
HuBison HuBison
If you arrive at an odd time (ie: early in the morning) Oct 17, 2010
It can be an expensive ride from GIG to Copacabana if you don't plan in advance. My friend and I arrived at 8am and we didn't plan in advance and were told the bus wasn't working. We were pretty much circled by a small group of cab drivers and ended up paying $25 each to get to our hotel.
BR-UNO BR-UNO
How to get to/from the Intl Airport in Rio (GIG) Nov 20, 2009
BY BUS

To Flamengo, Botafogo, Copacabana, Ipanema, Leblon, Barra and back. Take the special bus just outside the arrival areas at terminals 1 and 2 (it departs every 30 minutes). REAL ONIBUS - BUS 2018 - check the bus itinerary clicking on the bus number! Bus fare R$7.00 (R$ = BRL, Brazilian Real)

Another option (more tiring) is the special line GIG / SDU , which goes from the International Airport to Santos Dumont, the Domestic Airport downtown. The bus fare is BRL4.00. From there, you can get another bus or take the subway (be prepared to walk 15 minutes to Cinelândia metro station). This is also an alternative to reduce the cab's fare, since the Santos Dumont airport is downtown, closer to the main Zona Sul neighborhoods ( Flamengo, Botafogo, Copacabana, Ipanema, Leblon) then the International Airport.

SHUTTLE SERVICE

To Copacabana, Ipanema, Leblon, Barra and back. SHUTTLE RIO Shuttle costs R$12.00 pp - the service can be booked on their website: http://shuttlerio.com.br/en/

CAB

Follow the signs in each terminal's arrival areas for taxi ranks (GET THE YELLOW ONES with normal fare) Fare should cost around R$30.00 to get downtown or around R$50.00 to the main Zona Sul neighborhoods. Regular fare today: R$4.30+R$1.25/Km - Note that everyday between 21h00 and 06h00 and during all day on Sundays, holidays and the entire month of December, the fare is increased in 20%.

Online cab fare calculator: http://www.tarifadetaxi.com/rio-de-janeiro
Garnet says:
This information is so incredibly helpful for my upcoming trip!
Posted on: Dec 15, 2013
marcus493 says:
Thanks appreciate the info. for my anticipated travel
Posted on: Jun 21, 2013
tat51551 says:
Thanks for the awesome tip and just in time for my upcoming trip.
Posted on: Feb 07, 2012