How to get around New York like a local - THE SUBWAY
Manhattan, New York, NY, USA
How to get around New York like a local - THE SUBWAY Reviews
How to get around New York like a local - THE SUBWAY Mar 24, 2009
Being a native New Yorker, here is some advice for you if you are visiting the City (meaning Manhattan) and the outskirts.
The cheapest, fastest, truly New Yorker experience to get around is the Subway. It runs very often (late night about every 20 minutes) and you can take local or express trains or combine both.
Very good subway map in PDF format:
If you can’t handle the following, don’t even bother:
* Occasionally homeless people asking for money
* The smell is not fresh air like a park
* Not a fancy clean train station
* Hundreds of people walking fast trying to catch their train
* Standing while riding during rush hour
* Don’t look naive
* Don’t answer people talking to you if you get a bad vibe from them (don’t be rude to those very few) just keep walking
* Late night, make sure not to be alone if you are a visitor (you won’t know how to handle yourself in a sticky situation)
* Never try to hop over the gates without paying, there are too many cops and you will get caught.
* Always have a subway map with you; you can get them at any booth at entry
* Study the map before you come to City (the PDF version), it will make it a 1000 times easier for you to get around, and you will feel like you know the city pretty well.
* Get a pass (7 day, month) whatever fits your time needed. It will be a LOT cheaper for you.
* If you do find yourself lost, ask the MTA employees in the booth for assistance.
* Keep you wallet in a safe place.
* Be courteous, yet don’t be too polite or you will never get on the subway (or anywhere else in the City)
If you can handle all that, I can hosetly say that you will enjoy and feel New York like a true local.
If you need any advice, I am here to help.
Enjoy the best city in USA, and be safe!
4 / 4 TravBuddies found this review helpful/trustworthy
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!