How to cross the border into Transnistria

Tighina, Moldova

How to cross the border into Transnistria Tighina Reviews

JoeriNL JoeriNL
How to cross the border into Transnistria Jun 18, 2011
I wasn't sure about going to Transnistria on my own after reading all kind of stories online. Besides that I don't speak Russian, so I took a guide and driver.

Now I've seen the border I think it's quite ok if you go there by regular bus. I heard that the most problems occur on the border between Transnistria and Ukraine anyway.

After arriving you will first pass a Moldovan checkpoint, they will probably check your passport and maybe the trunk. This just takes a few minutes.

After that you will pass a Russian army checkpoint, those guys probably won't take a look at you so this won't take long too.

The third point is the Transnistrian one, this can take up a lot of time when it's busy, but I was quite lucky. If you haven't been to Transnistria before you will have to register your passport at the first booth first. After that you have to go to the little office where you have to fill in a migration card (you can get it there), basically a sheet of paper. Fill it in correctly, use you father's last name under 'patronymic'. As an address just write Tiraspol. Don't forget to bring your own pen! After filling this in, hand it over to the officer in the office. He'll check it in the computer and put on a time on it when you have to leave the 'country' again (you get 10 hours). They'll keep one half, you'll have to keep the other half and hand it over again when you leave. Don't loose it, otherwise you'll have to bribe your way out. If you want to stay longer than 10 hours you have to register at the registration office in Tiraspol.

After all this you're ready to pass the actual border, your papers will get checked, and your car aswell. They won't check pockets or bags. Just cooperate, and DON'T take pictures.
President Smirnoff on the right.
My migration card.
My migration card.
Chokk says:
Great stuff
Posted on: Jun 21, 2011

Compare Tiraspol Hotel Rates (13.1km away)

Tighina Map