Hotel Tindastoll

Check Saudarkrokur Hotel Deals

Hotel Tindastoll Saudarkrokur Reviews

wagslikeadog wagslike…
Fabulous Vintage Boutique Hotel May 19, 2012
Hotels that have real character are tough to find in Iceland so this place was a real lucky real gem to find. I was hoping that it would look as good for real as it did in online photos and it didn't disappoint!

It touts itself as the oldest hotel in the country and it has been restored in top-top fashion. It is in great condition with exposed wood floors and exposed beams and authentic finishings from the late 19th century. It's located right in town just off the main street, so you can't miss it.

The room was huge by Icelandic standards with not one but TWO double beds. Great lighting and windows. The furnishings were also all tasteful vintage wood. Cathedral ceilings and stained glass. Really well appointed overall. TV, a clock radio and free in-room wifi too. The bathroom was small (but OK) with a smallish shower stall, but vintage finishings again and everything worked as it should. The room had a great wood smell to it too. Nice.

I asked our host about a rumour that I had read online about the hotel being haunted, and she confirmed that people HAD reported strange, spooky events during their stay, but our host said that she had never experienced anything "supernatural" in her 7 years working there...And we didn't either during our 1 night stay.

There was a signed photo of Marlene Deitrich hanging on the wall in the upstairs hallway, and our host confirmed that the German silver screen-queen stayed at the Tindastoll while entertaining troops in the area in 1942. (Hey, any place that good enough for MD is good enough for me too!)

Given its vintage, there is no pool, fitness room, business centre, restaurant on-site, etc. If it had a bit more to offer I certainly would have given it 5 out of 5, but was totally satisfied with it just the way it is, though it *is* a little on the pricey-side.

In short though: I was really impressed with this hotel. Stay if you can!
Great room!