Hotel Solamar

Hotel Solamar Rates and Deals

Hotel Solamar San Diego Reviews

chiawombat chiawomb…
Great Value & Service in the Gaslamp Nov 29, 2010
I used priceline to book this great hotel in San Diego. The staff was amazingly friendly and gave me no attitude for being a priceline booker.

== Location ==

The Solamar is located near the edge of the Gaslamp District -- a part of San Diego with lots of cool shops and restaurants. It's also about two to three blocks away from both Petco Park (home of the Padres) and the convention center. While parts of the Gaslamp can get pretty lively (see: Hard Rock), the Solamar is relatively quiet, which is nice at the end of a long day.

== The Hotel ==

As is the case with all Kimpton hotels, the Solamar is decorated in a very cool, but comfortable way. This particular hotel is done in creams and browns with oversized furniture in the common area. In this room, they have a daily wine tasting for an hour that I got to take advantage of, and enjoyed.

The pool is on top of the roof and is surrounded by private cabanas available to all guests. The furniture in the cabanas is really very comfortable, and it's nice to be able to draw the curtains and have some privacy for reading and taking a nap while still enjoying the outdoors.

There's a restaurant on the first floor that I went to for breakfast one day. The food is quite good, but is on the pricier side.

== Rooms ==

The rooms at the Solamar are roomy and eclectically decorated in blues, beiges and whites (the room prompted me to see if I could find leather wallpaper for my house). The beds are very comfortable, and my room had an arm chair for lounging. A spacious desk makes working in the room easy. The bathrooms, while not enormous, are impressively stylish and very functional.

== Overall Impressions ==

The Solamar has become my favorite place to stay in San Diego. If you haven't had the chance, I'd recommend the Kimpton Group hotels whenever possible. I've stayed at several and have yet to be disappointed. The customer service at their hotels is above and beyond what you get just about anywhere else.
Eric Eric
Friendly staff, decent rooms Jul 09, 2009
Stayed here for a conference, after finding this hotel through Hotwire for a relatively cheap rate of $88/night.

Definitely liked this better than the Hilton Bayfront, which I stayed at the previous weekend. Rooms weren't as nice, but the staff was friendlier, and the location was a lot better. Easy walk to anywhere around the Gaslamp. Also, I was able to find free street parking just a few blocks away, and leave my car there for 3 days. Beats paying $25+ a night!

Examples of staff friendliness:

- When checking in, the receptionist informed me that since the hotel wasn't full, he could give me a better view on the top floor, overlooking the poolside bar and with a great view of the city. He did this without even my asking. Compare this to the Hilton Bayfront, where they would only upgrade me for a fee, even though rooms were available.

- I went to the poolside bar to watch one of the Laker/Houston playoff games. The bartender didn't like the Lakers, and we had some debates about how great the Lakers were ;) My stomach was kind of hurting, so I didn't finish my beer. Despite our differences in sport team loyalty, he didn't charge me for the beer because I had hardly touched it. Awesome!

The rooms themselves are fairly small, the bathrooms especially. I don't know if I'd classify this as a business hotel precisely. It seemed a bit too hip and the rooms too small and trendy for that, but it was still a great place to stay during my weekday conference, and a good base for exploring Gaslamp/downtown SD.
king bed
Street view of hotel from outside
jendara says:
Congratulations on your Featured Review:)
Well done!!! Cheers!!!
montecarlostar says:
Congrats on your feature! :D
Koralifix says:
Congrats on being featured! Nicely written!

Hotel Solamar Overview

The hotel is found in the downtown area of San Diego, and is within walking distance of Horton Plaza, Copley Symphony Hall, Petco Park, and the historic Gaslamp Quarter. Guests at the Hotel Solamar will also be able to visit Balboa Park, the San Diego Zoo, and a number of museums. Located in the downtown area of San Diego, the Hotel Solamar is close to the airport and the train station. Guests of the hotel will be able to ride the trolley or the bus, or take a taxi to their destination. Many attractions are even within walking distance of the hotel.

The Hotel Solamar offers 235 guestrooms that feature amenities such as flat screen TV's, air conditioning, a DVD and CD player, telephone, in room safe, hairdryer, morning paper, Internet, and much more.

The Hotel Solamar is a contemporary hotel that offers guests an onsite restaurant, as well as a full service bar and lounge. Guests will also find a valet, 24-hr reception desk, laundry and dry cleaning services, business services, a concierge, and more.

Hotel Solamar Amenities

• Fitness Facilities
  • Massage
  • Body Treatments
  • Facial Treatments
  • Internet Connection (wireless)
  • Bathrobes