Hotel Sidi Driss

Check Matmata Hotel Deals

Hotel Sidi Driss Matmata Reviews

Suusj Suusj
Hotel Sidi Drss Oct 29, 2012
We stopped at the Sidi Driss for a well deserved lunch.

We had a 3 course meal. Wichwas included so don't know the amount we spent on that. You had to buy drinks and we payed 4 DT (that's 2 euro) for 2 bottle's of sprite, so not to expensive.

The Sidi Driss is located in Matmata in a troglodyte. The hotel was used in the 1976 movie Star Wars: A New Hop as the home of Luke Skywalker. It featured again in 2002 in Star Wars: the Attack of the clones. I'm not a fan, never seen the movies but it was great to walk around and see it for ourselfs.

Room & Bathroom

We never slept at the Sidi Driss, we stopped for lunch and photo's. So I can't tell you anything about the room's. I did use the bathroom/toilet area. We'll it's nog very clean. But hey, you're in the middle of nowhere so what do you expect? I suggest you take some clean wipes with you :-).

In front of Sidi Driss there were some people with baby camels/dromedary and is was possible to feed them some milk, if you payed of course. The village Matamata is very small so not a lot to do besides the Sidi Driss.

If we'd ever go again I would definitely want to spent the night in Sidi Driss. Don't expect silk sheets and a wonderful clean room (there is sand everywhere so I assume that there will be sand in the rooms as welll). But I think it is just a wonderful experience to sleep in a Star Wars decor (though I have never seen a movie ...) and a troglodyte at the same time.
tj1777 tj1777
Star Wars hotel Jan 03, 2010
The hotel is one of the traditional troglodyte hotels in the area around. The rooms are dug into the cliffs around the courtyards below the ground. It is a way to try to live like the traditional Berbers of the area used to live. It is a part of tradition which is about to be lost because not many of the locals live in troglodyte houses anymore. With the introduction of air-condition the need to stay underground to keep cool have diminished.

The rooms seem pretty basic with shared bathrooms and showers. Inside the rooms are not much except the beds and a single light bulb which will make sure you can find way around the rooms at night. But one of the reasons to stay at a troglodyte hotel is to try the basic hotel instead of focusing on the modern conveniences’.

One downside with the Sidi Driss is you might get a wakeup call by a group of tourist coming to visit the hotel early in the morning. Tourist flocks to the hotel because it was the home to a couple of scenes in the Star Wars movie. Hence unless you like to risk getting up too early in the morning your best option might be to stay somewhere else and just join the other tourist to see the old set from the movie a bit later in the day. The people at the front desk seem to be used to the strange people coming by just to see the old movie set. They pretty much just ignore you when you walk by them - just like I did in the morning to see the place instead of spending a night at the hotel.
A room at the hotel
Map of the place
The entrance to the room
One of the courtyards below ground
bernard69 says:
a good place to earn some cash from the tourists!
Posted on: Feb 22, 2010
slsmeigh slsmeigh
Sep 09, 2007
Ok. If my son and husband didn't love Star Wars so much I would have given this hotel a lower rating. The problem with the hotel is that they are pushing it as both a troglodyte dwelling and Star Wars location. In my opinion, they should just stick with the Star Wars theme. Unfortunately, vistitors have stolen pieces from the set and it looks rather run down. The allow anyone to come in and take photos so it can get VERY crowded all of sudden when a tour bus shows up. My 6 year old son was disappointed that they didn't know he was dressed up as Darth Vader and thought he was a Jawa. I guess it's because Darth Vader was much taller :) Anyway, the toilets are in stalls located in the main hallway so everyone is walking past. Same with the showers. Kind of weird. The hotel was ok for my husband, children and I but not so good for my 67 year old mom :) We were there in February 2007 so it was a bit chilly. I think for those interested in Star Wars this is the place to stay but if you are looking for a troglodyte experience you'd be better someplace cheaper and without all of the leftover Star Wars set.

Check Matmata Hotel Deals