Hotel Renuka

Check Colombo Hotel Deals

Hotel Renuka Colombo Reviews

atreehouse atreehou…
Better option on Galle Road May 19, 2012
This Hotel is on the busy Galle Road, walkable distance to some of the businesses and embassies such as the US and Indian Consulates. It's close to Galle face and short rides to the Fort area of Colombo. The rooms are large, double beds, has a safe in the room and tea/coffee maker, fridge and adequate storage area. Bathroom is also fairly big and well appointed for this star rating.

It is a good business class hotel. The pool is out of action, being renovated they said, they said the same thing when I was there in January this year also. I had a relatively comfortable stay and it is in a good neighborhood and that counts for me as a big plus. Staff are nice and friendly and my walk in rate was $100 a night. Their online booking site was down and I couldn't make bookings via any other travel site either. I did not choose the breakfast option, preferring to go out to nearby eateries for food and that worked out cheap and it was good. Breakfast at the hotel is another $9 if I remember correctly. Wifi is available in the rooms at extra cost, something like $10 for 24 hours if I remember correctly. I did not opt for this.

I used to walk to dinner at the Crescat Centre (near Cinnamon Grand Hotel) and basement has a food court with good eating options. The Sri Lankan food stall there offers great local fare and mighty cheap compared to restaurant prices. Say a rice and curry with lots of Veggie options will set you back by around $2 to $3 bucks only LKR Rupees 250). The Indian stall has the only license for Beer and he sells Lion Lager for LKR150 small bottle one, that's about a buck and half US Dollars. Wifi is free and pretty good in the food court and guess where I did all my emailing, tweeting and stuff using my phone? Yup. Free and good signal too. Coming back to Renuka, all in all a good option for staying a couple of days in Colombo, Sri Lanka.
atreehouse says:
Ben, please do let me know whenever you travel to SL and I'll help as much as I can. SL is a lovely country to travel to. Hope you read my blog on Colombo, few more descriptions of the Fort area that I mentioned in my previous comment. I should also check out the Colombo City Hotel next time, I did go in and see the room and it looked all right but for a first hand experience I'd want to stay there a couple of days and find out. Location is great, right opposite the World trade centre..posted pics on my Colombo blog. Cheers!
zenthoughts says:
Anup, what you shared are the real nuggets. I am grateful that I can reach out to you for more info when I have travel plans to Sri Lanka.
atreehouse says:
Hi Ben! You won't face any difficulties at all, don't worry. Sri Lankans are hospitable people, just avoid the touts with a firm no, don't even stop to talk although they are harmless and all they want is to sell you something. The Crescat Centre from Renuka is not far, its on Galle Road and the route takes you past the US Consulate, the Indian High Commission and the President's residence. That is a heavily guarded area, the entire stretch is safe.

The Fort area is also quite good, many hotels there, mostly the five star variety. The Galle Face Hotel is a Heritage hotel worth visiting and continuing on the same Galle Road North you'd have the Taj Samudra and so on.

As for interacting with the locals, no problems there, most of them speak English (with a sing song accent) even the Trishaw (tuk tuk) drivers. Language won't be an issue. A good idea is to get a map from front desk and have them mark out the spots you'd like to go to..that's good enough to go around with.

Ordering food at the food court is a piece of cake..they are very conversant in English and the clients are surprisingly high end but the food costs are quite cheap. My usual fare used to be coconut rice, dhal, 3 different types of Veggies, salads with a side of papadums/fired chillies and dry Coconut Sambol (yummy and spicy!). The food quality is high. That platter I just mentioned cost me LKR 250 to 300, thats abut 2 to 3 bucks US. I may have a picture of one of the platters, will try and locate it on my phone and post later. On the same road and a shorter walk is the famous Raja Bojun restaurant offering the widest choice of excellent Sri Lanka food. A must try, at least once and find out what Sri Lankan food is all about. Here's the link to visit their page: http://www.rajabojun.lk/restaurant.html
at LKR1,300 it is "pricey" for locals but its only US$11 for the all you can eat buffet and it is a huge spread. Hope this info was useful, ask me if you need more info. Cheers!
drmcflurry drmcflur…
Good Enough Sep 06, 2012
This place was pretty much average for me. Good enough for one or two nights if you're here on a short trip and want to keep costs low without sacrificing a good night sleep. Food at the restaurant was ok but nothing to write home about. I found the dining area though quite stuffy for my taste. Never was a fan of low ceilings and heavy curtains unless it was middle of winter. This place is good enough if you need to stay close to business establishments in Colombo but if you need something with a more relaxed atmosphere to get away from it all then I recommend someplace else. I can't really say I won't stay here again but I would recommend it to others with similar requirements when travelling.
dmm747 dmm747
Great Location Aug 12, 2011
The hotel is located towards the end of Galle Road, its just 5 minutes walk to the marine drive. The new wing called city wing is just recently renovated and very clean. Although slightly over priced, the great location will nullify that.

Hotel Renuka Overview

The small and elegant hotel with a garden and terrace comprises a main building and an annexe. On offer are a total of 81 rooms, of which 73 are double and eight are single rooms. Facilities on offer include a lobby area, two restaurants, a bar, a cocktail lounge, a games room, a TV lounge, and four conference rooms, and piped music is provided. This located in Colombo, the modern and bustling city which is the gateway to the enchanting island of Sri Lanka. Guests will reach the city centre of Colombo in a few minutes by car, where restaurants, bars, pubs, clubs, shops, and connections to the public transport network can all be found. Katunayake international airport lies approximately 1.5 hours away.

Hotel Renuka Amenities

• Photocopier
  • Direct dial phone
  • Disabled Accessible Rooms
  • Wheel Chair Access
  • Internet Connection (wireless)
  • Shower