Hotel Pison

Check Tana Toraja Hotel Deals

Hotel Pison Tana Toraja Reviews

aad_aad aad_aad
Basic backpackers place Jul 28, 2013
This is a friendly place to stay and one of the best places for backpackers. The reception area and adjacent restaurant area are welcoming and an easy place to meet other travelers and find guides. The hotel is a couple of meters down a small road from the main road next to a church. On the other side of the small road is Pia's Poppies, owned by the same family.

I wound up staying in two rooms. The first room I got was in the back on the base level next to the courtyard. It was a dim room and the bathroom was falling apart and moldy. The room itself was a bit moldy as well plus it didn't cool down at night at all. That's why I wanted to move. Since Pia's didn't have any room I changed to another room at Pison when it was possible.

The second room was a bit more expensive and on the first floor. All things were just a tat better than the first. That room included TV and air-conditioning, but I doubt either of those are really needed. View was much better from the balcony, shared with one other room.

Having had two rooms I noticed you have to be lucky with the room and beds. Mattresses in the first room were hard and soft in the second room.

Breakfast isn't included in the price, but the choices are wide, as are the dinner choices. One drink to try is the coffee, which the owner roasts himself. When asked you can buy some freshly roasted beans to take home.

The courtyard is pretty nice and maintained. It seems to have had a waterfall, but it didn't run. The service of the staff is good, but the level of English varies a lot. The owner speaks good English, but his sister only speaks basic English with a regular non-understanding look...

The place is some way from downtown Rantepao. The walk takes about ten minutes. A ride with the motor-taxi just a couple.

I paid 150,000 per night for the first room (no. 17) and 200,000 per night for the second (no. 21), after a discount from a price of 250,000.
The reception and restaurant area
YantiSoeparno YantiSoe…
Simple Hotel Closed to Main Street Jul 30, 2011
Actually, I didn't plan to stay at this hotel. It can be said that I stayed there by accident ;-)

Here is the story:

Reading Rini and Sandy's reviews in TB about Pia Poppies Hotel and Restaurant, I was very interested in staying there during my visit in Tana Toraja. So, after I was sure that I would go there, I called that hotel. The lady on the phone said that there was a room for me on the dates I came. Done! Great, I would stay at a rocky hotel that looked comfortable on photos ;-)

I arrived at Rantepao at 6.30 am. I told the bus driver assistant that I wanted to go to Pia Poppies. He knew it and dropped me at the right place. I dragged my suitcase on the small street to the hotel. It was about 10 meters from the main street. I walked in the lobby and saw by myself what Rini wrote about the hotel. The lobby and also the restaurant is decorated by rocks, statues, and even fruits.

I met the owner, Pak Yos. He said that I would stay at another part of the hotel. He asked me to follow him. So, I went out the hotel and followed him. About 10 meters again, I went inside another house (hotel) - cause it looks like a house. Pak Yos still served me until I came into my room.

Later, I knew that the hotel was not part of Pia Poppies, but Pison. It is run by a family. The owner is Pak Yos' relative. The whole family work for the hotel, the wife and the children.

It can be said that I was disappointed cause I couldn't stay at Pia Poppies. But, I was trying to be patient to accept all I got ;-)

The hotel is very simple and basic. The furniture is kinda old and no TV. OK, I didn't plan to watch it but at least it could accompany me since I was alone and it was very quiet outside.

The bathroom is also simple but there is hot shower. I couldn't imagine if there is not. Maybe I wouldn't take a bath during my stay there ;D It's cold in Toraja, especially at night.

Even the hotel is simple, but the family is nice. But, I would warn you not to order food while you are hungry, cause it took long time for them to serve it. I didn't know why. I had to wait for more than 30 minutes for simple fried noodle ;D

More info, breakfast is not included the hotel price. But, the owner was generous gave me discount cause I was alone even I stayed at a two beds room. The price should be 120,000 IDR per night, but I was charged 100,000 IDR only ;-)
The hotel name