Hotel Pennsylvania New York

Check New York Hotel Deals

Hotel Pennsylvania New York Reviews

trinademattei trinadem…
Location and Price Sep 07, 2014
I needed an extra night in NYC and I found a great same day deal for The Hotel Pennsylvania. It's location is it's selling point. The hotel is directly across from Penn Station. You will never miss your train and there is never a taxi lull. My check in was quick and my room was clean and adequate. I wouldn't suggest for long term stay as this is a no frills kind of hotel. If you are only in NYC for a weekend then the outdated decorations and old furniture won't get to you, The breakfast is not great. That being said this is NYC! Just leave the hotel and walk down the street to find any number of good restaurants.
ErikaMont ErikaMont
Jan 11, 2014
This hotel is very big. The best part of this hotel definitely is the location. You will not get a better location than this especially if you want to be surrounded by all the hustle and bustle of New York. But with popularity, comes volume. There were tons of people lining up when I got there for check in and I waited over 30 mins to check in. The rooms were fine though.
FrankMcD FrankMcD
Dec 21, 2013
An incredible location -- directly across 7th Avenue from Penn Station and close to Macy's (for shoppers) and the Empire State Building (for tourists) -- make this an excellent hotel for New York. The rooms are small, which is typical of New York hotels, and the staff are friendly and helpful. The rooms could use with some updating, but no one comes to new York to stay in a hotel room.
beaugould beaugould
I just stayed here there other night and loved it! Jul 20, 2012
I live in Queens and needed a room in NYC to crash at for a few nights. I found this room on the Priceline Negotiator app, took a chance and LOVED it! The hotel is like staying in the biggest hostel on the planet. All kinds of interesting people from all over the world were there and the rooms are big and cheap and the shower, OMG, the shower had the best pressure and hot water. Nice air conditioning, very safe, etc. It was the best. I'm going to book a room this weekend cuz I have to do this house music cruise party tomorrow and don't want to travel home after.
paulaga paulaga
Hotel Pennsylvania - NYC Feb 04, 2012
This hotel is in a great location. It is a shame that the owners don't put more money into this place because it would be a cash cow. It needs major renovations. It was clean but the rooms are falling apart. The walls are very thin and you can hear your neighbors and if you have loud neighbors you are out of luck. The bathroom was clean but the hot water would go in and out, you were lucky to get enough hot water to finish up. The staff was nice enough. Keep in mind that you get what you pay for, it is very inexpensive. Overall I don't think I would go back but for the price it was good enough.
iramalama iramalama
Pennsylvania Hotel in NYC Mar 08, 2011
Overall, the Pennsylvania Hotel does not disappoint. The rooms are equipped with everything a traveler would need, and the older, classic New York style makes it feel like you are actually in New York, and not in generic-fill-in-the-blank location. Some rooms have views of the Empire State Building while others face Madison Square Garden and Penn Station. The hotel is just a 10-minute walk down 7th Avenue ("Fashion Avenue") from Times Square and about the same distance to Broadway (in the same direction). The Empire State Building and original Macy's are also walking distance. The Penn Station connections make it easy to get all around the metro area as well as getting trains to JFK and Newark airports. It is really as simple as crossing the street.

I've stayed at this hotel twice. The first time we got a huge room (2 rooms with the wall knocked down between them). The second time it was a normal-sized room...but still adequate. Hotel costs in New York are sky high, and I felt that this hotel is great value for its location and stature. There was some renovation going on while I was staying there (still, it was not noisy) so look for improvements and modern touches to be added. The staff was 'New York friendly' and offered all sorts of advice on restaurants, transportation, shopping, nightlife, and general directions to anyone who asked them. One big benefit of staying at the hotel is that it has a quick check-out key drop box. It saved us about 15 minutes compared to waiting in the reception desk line to check out. I'd stay here again.
Pennsylvania Hotel--really long ro…
Pennsylvania Hotel--really long ro…
Pennsylvania Hotel view from the w…
Pennsylvania Hotel view from the w…
kevevo6 kevevo6
great value, Excellent location Mar 06, 2011
I stayed in the penn, In June 2008, I have to say i really enjoyed my time theer, I was there for ten days. Right from the start when I went to check in the staff were corteous and helpful

There was a good buzz in teh Foyer it was obvious that it was a busy hotel

Upon arrival to my room it was fine, The room was big and airy it inclyded a fridge and a tv all the mod cons youd expect

The bathroom was good too with a tub anad a shower

Rooms were cleaned every day and towels replaced

The location of this hotel is excellent just across the road from madison Sq Gardens and a block or two away from macy's and not that far from Times Square

Very easy to get a taxi right outside the hotel enterance

im going back to New York in June and am staying in the Pennsylvania again, id definetly reccomend it.
gerriek gerriek
Good if you're low on money Mar 06, 2011
Like the title: for the money this is a pretty good deal. I've stayed in this hotel for a week and a must say I was welcomed very friendly by the staff. The staff is helpful and friendly although this is a huge hotel! The front lobby is large and provides a nice welcome into the hotel, however the rooms are a little bit messy. The ceiling showed spots of leakage and it looked like the cleaning lady forgot to clean behind the nightstands (few candy wraps from former residents). The bed was quite good though. Bathroom is also not great, since if you're tall you probably won't fit your head under the shower. One of the major plus points of this hotel is the proximity to a lot of major tourist attractions. Times square is maybe a 15 min. walk and Macy's is around the corner. Subway access across the street! All in all: it's a place to stay the night close to popular attractions in NYC but do remember you can't get too much for too little money!
menoxie menoxie
large but not that good Jun 22, 2011
i stayed there for 5 nights, it is a big hotel lot's of rooms in the middle of manhattan within walkingdistance from time square and the empire state building, just in front of maddison square garden.

the room was dirty and not cleaned well when i entered the room i found a condom under the bed, the rooms were also loudy, in the night my neighbours had a very wild romantic thing to do in the night and the noise they made was that loud i couldn't sleep, and in some moments i thought he was going to kill her( sounded like a horror movie)

I will not go there again that's for sure
picture from the hotel standing in…
TopTogs TopTogs
Cheap but hardly cheerful. Mar 07, 2011
Don't let the snazzy lobby fool you, it's a different story when you get upstairs, it literally could be a completely different hotel in some respects. The hallywas looked grubby as did the rooms. it was pure and simple a place to keep you luggage and rest your head and nothing more. The location was good...there are other hotels such as The Millenium Broadway which are nearer times square but a bit more pricey. This place was cheap and located directly opposite Madison Square Garden. Thumbs up for location and cost, but down for everything else.
joelh89 joelh89
Great location, reasonably priced Dec 29, 2010
When in New York you dont want to be staying inside your hotel all day which is why this hotel is excellent. It's a very good price for the location, situated directly opposite Penn station and Madison Square Garden, a short walk away from Times Square, 20 minute walk to Central Park, round the corner from the Empire State! you couldn't place it in a better location. the rooms were clean, some parts of the hotel are abit dated but for the price you cant really grumble. staff where friendly, especially at the travel desk where we given thorough information and they couldn't help enough.
Hotel pennsylvania
opposite the hotel
quebec3 quebec3
Great location, good price Mar 23, 2010
I recently stayed at New York's Hotel Penn and it really has an unbelievable location!! For your money, the location makes it an unbeatable value.

Whether I am in NYC for work or just for fun, what I like about this hotel is that despite it's close proximity to Times Square you can still get a decent night's sleep... :) And it's a good value for it's close proximity to Times Square. Being right across the street from Penn Station, it makes for super easy travel to and from Newark Airport too. I've always felt safe in the hotel, too. And sometimes I head to NYC on my own, so that helps to have that added comfort when I crash for the night.

New York is an amazing, vibrant city and you really don't want to spend too much time in your hotel room anyway! So, the fact that the rooms are sparse really wasn't a big deal to me. I've been in fancier hotels and they're nice, but for the money you do get a good value out of Hotel Penn, I think. :)

I've stayed here with friends and on my own and I've had a pleasant stay each time.
Jasonob Jasonob
affordable New York City Dec 02, 2010
Ideal hotel for cheap and affordable holiday in new york city
Hotel Pennsylvania New York
Queenanna Queenanna
Penn NY Mar 23, 2010
Just want to say, the shower is dreadfull! No pressure and if you are taller then 1.7m you have to bend your head..

Great location though! Right across the street is the subway! Do not eat at the restaurant! It's way overpriced and not that good!

We stayed in 2 rooms, one had a real decent size and the other felt like a matchbox..

But NY is expensive enough so a decent hotel overall.
gejah gejah
a huge hotel on a good location Apr 28, 2009
Because we left the Red Roof Inn at 06.00 am, the hotel was so friendly to check us in at 11.00 am. The lobby is enormous! Shops, internet room, coffee corner where you can buy bread and coffee and fruitjuices. The Hotel is old and you can see that when you enter the corridor. But the room was good enough and clean. The bed was nice and soft (not tooo soft). The location is also very good. Pennstation in front of the hotel, macy's easy to reach by foot. This hotel has 1700 rooms!! But there are a lot elevators. So is does not take a long time to reach your room. When you take a taxi to the south point from here it will cost you about 12$.

Because of the good location and the good bed

i can recommend this hotel. But it is old!

If you like to stay in this hotel, make sure you ask for a renovated room!
delsol67 delsol67
Location, Location, Location Aug 16, 2009
Well, sometimes you have to learn the hard way, right. I had read that this hotel was hit or miss being bad or really bad. I decided to try it out. I had found a special that made it much more economical than it is most of the time. I was stunned, first of all, by how big this hotel is. It has 1700 rooms available. It's one of the biggest in NYC. It had been grand at one time. It's just sad, now.

The lobby is massive but, the hotel itself takes up most of a city block in NYC. The lobby looks dated but has been kept in a acceptable condition....barely. The rooms are another thing. This is one stop short of the black hole of Calcutta. I have stayed in that accomodation in NYC but, was so bad, I just can't say it's name, let alone review it.

Anyway, the carpet is dirty. It's so very worn and stained. The paint is dirty and peeling in many spots. It's obvious that some areas in the corners of ceiling and around windows are due to water damage. The A/C was scary looking but, did work, marginally. The bath was tiny and in disrepair. The toilet paper holder was just left on the floor like they had given up. The tub had rust spots and the tile grout was mildewed.

Due to the fact that it was the holiday season, I had to make the best of it. I was already in the city. Looking for another hotel at this point would be miserable.

I survived. As I have read recently the hotel is being considered for demolition by a developer who wants to put up a new skyscraper. My stay at one of the largest hotels in NYC might just be apart of history, soon.
Midtown Manhattan
Picturesque NYC
Petra2111 Petra2111
nice hotel on great location Sep 10, 2008
This hotel has a great location, just against Madison Square Garden and Penn station. It is one of the cheapest hotels in this neighbourhood. But it is not the most beautiful one. But we didn't mind because we were only sleeping there and were most of the day somewhere in the city. And it's just a few blocs away from Time Square and 42nd street.

We asked for a renovated room, those are good. (TIP) But you must asked for it when you book the room because those rooms are not always available!
oriel oriel
Mid-town hotel close to everything Oct 07, 2008
In New York, I spend a lot of time walking or travelling by subway between events and attractions. I need a hotel that is comfortable, accessible and secure. The Pennsylvania was all of these - but, at a price. We stayed in the Penn 5000 club level on the 12th floor which provided additional services and amenities beyond a bare room - the cost: between 360-395 USD per night!!! We had a large room with windows on two sides making the room bright and open. The room had an extra comfortable king size bed and a refrigerator. Although the plumbing was a bit dated the bathroom was clean, fully-equipped and well-maintained. The staff on the Club 5000 level was friendly, efficient and helpful. Any requests we had were handled quickly and to our satisfaction. We definitely appreciated the daily continental breakfast and the 12th floor Club lounge. Broadband internet in the room is an extra $10.00 per day - a bit excessive considering the room price but free internet is available in the Club 5000 lounge. Minor concerns aside, I would stay there again and recommend the Pennsylvania to others.
front entrance Hotel Pennsylvania …
mikehereijgers mikehere…
Jan 11, 2008
I think this hotel isn't bad.

It's in the middle of manhatten with penn-station at the front door. The best thing is the price. It's very cheap in compare with all the other hotels in that neigbourhood.
the look out of the hotel-room
marg_eric marg_eric
Big and cheap Jul 31, 2007
We came to New York by train. Walking out of Penn Station, the hotel was at the opposite side of the street. From the outside the hotel looked striking. The rooms though weren’t that impressive. Our room was quite tiny and had an odd smell (probably the leaking air-conditioner which dripped water on the carpet). The price did not include breakfast, which was fine because in a city like New York there are lots of places to eat out.

But the big plus of this place was the location: just a few blocks walking to Broadway and Times Square. Right opposite of Penn Station and Madison Square Garden and the the Empire State Building just around the corner. So if I’m ever in New York again, this is the place to stay!
in front of the hotel

• Ballroom
  • Audio/Visual Equipment
  • Wheel Chair Access
  • Fitness Facilities
  • Internet Connection (wireless)
  • Shower