Hotel Moon Light Kathmandu

Hotel Moon Light Kathmandu Rates and Deals

Hotel Moon Light Kathmandu Reviews

Biedjee Biedjee
A bit of a rip off Sep 23, 2010
I was recommended the Ganesh Himal guesthouse, however, when I made a reservation I got a reply the day before my arrival that they were fully booked. Instead they would book me a room at Hotel Moon Light, which is run by the same family, for 'the same price'.

Next I received an e-mail from a travel agent, First Environmental Trekking, if I wanted to book a trekking with them. This seemed a bit weird, as I was looking for a room, not a trekking. I replied to the e-mail stating the same thing and never heard back from either the trekking company, nor the Ganesh Himal guesthouse.

When I arrived in Kathmandu by bus, there was a guy waiting with a sign with my name on. I was pleasantly surprised. He brought me to the Moon Light hotel where I went through a chaotic check-in procedure with a receptionist who was doing dozens of different things, none of which had anything to do with my check-in. When I finally received my room key - after about 10 minutes - I verified the room rate with him. “no, the room will be paid via First Environmental Trekking. This was really weird, since I had not booked anything with the travel agent, nor did I have any intention of doing so.

I carried my luggage up the 5 flights of stairs to my room, which was really really nice. Back at the reception I was told this room was a deluxe room, for which I had to pay $ 30, plus 10% service charge, plus 13% govt tax. Erm.. wait, this is not what I ordered. I was quoted a price of $13. The reply of the receptionist (who was joined by the duty manager at this stage) was: “sorry, we can only give you room for $30.”

Well, in that case I wasn't staying here, of course. So I told the guy I was checking out again. Then all of a sudden they had a room for $15 available. Including tax!

By this time I really didn't want to stay here anymore, but it had already gotten late, so I budged and agreed to stay in the 'standard' room, carrying my bags 5 flights down again, to the first floor of the other building.

The standard room was nice enough. A bit worn and musty-smelling, but at least the (free) wi-fi signal reached the room, so that was small bonus.

Beds were ok, and I slept fine until about 6 in the morning when the surrounding neighbourhood (and their dogs) woke up and the noise made it impossible to sleep through.

Upon check-out I had another nasty surprise. First the manager wanted to talk to me, blaming everything that happened on First Environmental Trekking, the hotel had nothing to blame. I didn't really agree, since the guy at the reception had me carrying my bags up first, before telling me he had given me an unwanted upgrade. Not to mention the fact that he later sent me in a completely wrong direction when I asked for the direction to the Thamel area - he doesn't know the difference between left and right!

Then when I went to pay my bill they charged me for mineral water which I never ordered (or drank) and they used a ridiculous exchange rate from USD to Nepali Rupee. There's a sign at the reception saying “all foreigners are required to pay in local currency using the official exchange rate” and underneath they have the exchange rates. However, my exchange rate was a lot higher because the rates at the sign are “for exchanging money only”. This is fairly common practice, but still I feel you should publish the 'other' rates as well so I refused to pay this amount (and I later checked on the Internet, they tried to charge me 5% more than the actual rate!)

So all in all, I had a really bad experience. Which is a pity, since the hotel itself is quite nice. It is located just outside Thamel (2 minutes walk) in a relatively quiet neighbourhood. And if you are on a mid-range budget, the 'deluxe' rooms are actually quite nice.

So should the management change, then I guess this is an OK place to stay. Still, I would recommend you try another place (and I stayed in plenty of them, so check out my other reviews)
The 'luxury' room they put me in f…
This is not a room, every floor ha…
The budget room
bathroom of the budget room

Hotel Moon Light Kathmandu Overview

The Hotel Moonlight is located in Kathmandu making it one of the best hotels to stay at while in town. All the modern facilities are available in all of the hotel's 38 rooms. Each guestroom has shower, desk, air conditioning. To suit guests' convenience, this Kathmandu accommodation offers coffee shop, laundry service/dry cleaning, 24hr room service, bar/pub. The hotel offers garden to provide extra pleasure and relaxation for all guests. Being one of the good quality hotels in Kathmandu, guests staying at this hotel will find its convenient location and tranquil atmosphere pleasurable. For your reservation at the Hotel Moonlight Kathmandu, please enter your preferred visit dates and follow our secure online booking form.

Hotel Moon Light Amenities

• Laundry service
  • Garden
  • Direct dial phone
  • Facsimile
  • Internet Connection (wireless)
  • En suite