Hotel Mery

Check Huehuetenango Hotel Deals

Hotel Mery Huehuetenango Reviews

andrejav andrejav
Hotel Mery - HueHue Jul 28, 2016
Huehuentenango or Hue Hue is an border town in Guatemala that has been growing like mushroom since I been passing around. The bus station is a bit outside of the town but they have excellent, set bus lines that will take you to the city center so that you can find the place to stay. And I did find a place. Interesting and not as bad as it looks when you see it at first…

Hotel Mery is one of the older and more established places in the town. By established, I mean well known through the backpacker family. It is a square kind of modern building on excellent location, a block from the center square. It has couple of floors stacked with badly designed rooms and dark corridors. Bottom floor is a bit strange, full of some strange shops and one of the places is occupied by reception. Guy working the reception was a bit strange in the way he talked to me, but it was probably language barrier and my unorthodox Spanish. Anyway I did not trust him too much and I hid all my valuables as good as I could when I was outside of the room. There is a security at the entrance to the stairs that lead to the rooms, but again… I did not have great feeling about this place. Large stairs in the middle of the building make lots of noise, so look for the rooms that are a bit further from the stairs.

My room was in the end of the corridor a bit in the back of the first floor. It had large windows towards the hallway and some kind of flimsy curtains that did not give much of privacy.

Room was fairly big and it had some kind of TV set where I could watch amazing football games from most of the Central America. Bathroom was a cube that separated one part of the room and it was not on the cleanest side of the spectrum but it had steady stream of warm water and that’s all you need after long bumpy road and long adventures. Bed is large with spring system that also makes noises when you move around, but that’s just a theme in this place.

Now, it is not all that bad, nothing happened to my stuff and I had good night sleep before jumping another border. There are great things about it, such as price, closeness to the excellent food places, good ice-cream and generally just good place for budget one night traveler that keeps going places.

On the town square you can find some seriously good meals and lots of street food. Town has very good market area with lots of fresh food and excellent meat. There is also an market in the bus station area.

The ruins that are close to town are not worth seeing and whatever is left of it they covered with horrible cement. Museum on the site did not work, and they charge five times more for you to enter the field and “enjoy the ruins”. This are definitely the worst ruins in Guatemala by far.

Check Huehuetenango Hotel Deals