Hotel La Torre

Check Tupiza Hotel Deals

Hotel La Torre Tupiza Reviews

SofiaK81 SofiaK81
Good hotel, amazing tour! Jun 07, 2011
I had of course heard the stories about the drunk drivers, jeeps breaking down, non-English speaking guides and fatal accidents on the Salt Flats. I did my research thoroughly and ended up booking with La Torre Tours, and stayed at their hotel in Tupiza as well. This is a review of both the hotel and the tour- mostly the tour actually.

I arrived in Tupiza at 4am in the morning, one hour early despite a flat tire on my very "interesting" bus journey from Sucre.:) 5 hours later my Salt Flat Tour would start and I was incredibly tired after sleeping a maximum of 20 minutes on the dusty freezing cold bus. I walked the dark empty streets of Tupiza and after passing the hotel once(missing it for some reason)found it, knocked on the door and was welcomed by a sweet old man. I explained that I was going on the 4 day tour of the Salt Flats, and even though I hadn't booked a room for that night, he showed me to a room where I got 3 hours of well needed sleep. I will always remember and be grateful for his thoughtfulness.

After I woke up I had a good but basic breakfast with the 3 Australians that I was to spend the next few days and nights with. We hit it off right away, and after meeting our guide and driver and saw our jeep we all felt pleasantly surprised at the standard of all three.:)

The tour was amazing, the food good and plentiful, the guide was very good and informative and our driver the most helpful man ever. He helped change 4 or 5 flat tires and jump started one ancient jeep twice. Our jeep had no problems whatsoever so the only annoyance was that we were delayed because of helping everyone else!:)

The only mishap was that because of some misunderstanding we weren't woken up on time the last morning when we were going to watch the sunrise over the Salt flats. There was a crazy 15 minutes or so before we started off and then followed some even crazier driving before we arrived just in time for the sunrise.:)

After the tour I spent 2 nights at the hotel, and enjoyed my stay very much. The staff was friendly and helpful, except for one younger woman who was not as nice as the rest. The room was good and clean.

So in conclusion: The hotel is OK, but I truly recommend the tour from the bottom of my heart. It exceeded my expectations and I am thankful none of my fears were realised. We had the best guide, driver and jeep out of everyone we saw and met, and quite a few were envious of us.:)

This tour starts in Tupiza and is ideal for people coming from Argentina. I came from Sucre in Bolivia, and it would have been closer to start from Uyuni, but looking back it was so worth that memorable night on the Sucre-Tupiza bus.

Check Tupiza Hotel Deals