Hotel Koldingfjord

Hotel Koldingfjord Rates and Deals

Hotel Koldingfjord Reviews

Chokk Chokk
Nice hotel - being all alone on a Sunday Oct 24, 2010
On my way back from Brussels to Copenhagen I had to stop in the southern part of Denmark for a seminar. I was quite happy about it because it meant that my return drive would be at least 2 hours shorter than my drive down, but being a Sunday I had hoped to make the trip in around 6 – 7 hours.

I arrived at the hotel after 6½ hours drive and I was quite happy that I had my GPS in order to help me with the last 5 kilometres. It was really dark in the area I was driving and it was almost impossible to see anything on the small roads leading to the hotel.

The hotel complex was really huge. I parked my car at the first entrance to the hotel which turned out to be a mistake but given the fact that the rain had stopped it didn’t matter that I had to walk a bit. The reception of the hotel was situated in the middle of a large courtyard and some nicely rounded stone stairs with handlebars in brass. The reception area was enormous but empty for people.

At the reception I was met by a woman that asked me if I had been here before; this I had not. She said that since I had booked a double room I had to stay in another part of the hotel; the so called south wing which was situated on top of a hill on the other side of the hotel complex.

I left the hotel and followed her instructions; after leaving the courtyard I had to follow a red carpet to an elevator tower taking me 6 floors up to the entrance of the hotel I was staying in. There were no lights in any rooms so I was pretty sure that I was alone in this whole section of the hotel. The whole situation suddenly reminded me of The Shine with Jack Nicholson. I took another elevator up to the second floor and quickly found my room.

The room was nice; it was large with a lot of space around the furniture. There was a nice desk from where I could work; a double bed, which turned out to be the kind I hate. One where they put two beds together and you for sure will end up in the crack in the middle during the night. The bathroom was really nice as well and I really liked that the whole room was facing the entire hotel complex on top of a hill.

I unpacked my stuff and went back all the way to the centre of the hotel in order to get something to eat in their restaurant. In the elevator down they had the menu displayed and a decided that I was going to have a Pariser Bøf and a cold beer. On the way down I laughed inside again thinking of The Shine walking all alone.

I the restaurant I was all alone again; surprise, surprise! I was met by a sweet young girl and quickly ordered my Bøf (beef) and the beer. The girl ran off the kitchen with my order and soon after she came back with a newspaper and my cold Carlsberg, which was a nice gesture. The beef came out some 15 minutes later and everything tasted good. I finished the meal quite fast and went back to my empty hotel on the hill and watched TV the rest of the evening.

I checked out next morning and I had been satisfied with everything of my stay except the bed.
The room
The room
The bathroom
The Hall

Hotel Koldingfjord Overview

Koldingfjords-ns original name was s- Christmas Seal Sanatoriums-S. Postmaster Einar Holboll had the idea of selling Christmas seals so that rich and poor alike could contribute to helping weak and ill children. When people sent Christmas cards to one another, they gave two extra pennies for a Christmas seal that was then placed on the envelope next to the stamp. In this way, they helped to finance the construction of several sanatoriums. Koldingfjord was the first Christmas seal sanatorium to be built in Denmark.

The sale of Christmas seals began in 1904 and brought in DKK 67,000. It was decided that the money would be used to build a sanatorium for children with tuberculosis. After a substantial amount of legal wrangling, a piece of property called Louiseh j in Kolding, and the adjacent hills, were purchased. The Christmas sanatorium was under construction from 1907-1911. The construction budget was DKK 600,000, but the final cost was one million kroner as a result of many difficult problems with the subsoil, which was very soft. In order to create a stable subsoil, it was necessary to use piles, which were pounded into the ground to prevent the buildings from sliding into the fjord. People say that just as much was built under as above ground!

From 1911 to 1960 the buildings functioned as a sanatorium for children with tuberculosis and were thus an important player in the fight against this fearful widespread disease.

The buildings had different functions. Originally, there was an outdoor dormitory in the spot where the terrace is currently located. The kitchen, children and staff dining room, area for light baths and woodwork shop were placed where the conference facilities are now. The current reception area used to be a large sitting room, while the 100s-hallway contained rooms for the doctors, x-ray facilities and large sick rooms. On the first floor, there were small rooms in the middle and sick rooms on each side. The uppermost floor, which had an operating room and dental clinic in the middle, also had sick rooms on each side.

Behind the main building in the building where the Magnolia and Beech Rooms are located, there was originally a gymnasium and boiler room, while the side buildings known today as Dagmars-ns Palace and Christians-ns Palace were used as a boarding school and office.

After 1960, the buildings were taken over by an association for the mentally handicapped in the municipality of Vejle. From 1983 to 1987 most of the buildings remained empty until a company called Nursess-n Real Estate Ltd. purchased the buildings with the intention of creating a modern hotel and conference centre, thus 1983 marks the end of an era and use of the site as a Christmas seal sanatorium.

From 1988 to 1990 the listed buildings were renovated and modified. On the inside, the property has been completely renovated, modernised and equipped with everything a modern hotel and conference centre requires. Work was completed on 1 May 1990 and the property opened with the name Hotel Koldingfjord.

Hotel Koldingfjord Amenities

• Desk
  • Audio/Visual Equipment
  • Wheel Chair Access
  • Fitness Facilities
  • Internet Connection (wireless)
  • Shower