Hotel Kazurabashi

Check Tokushima Hotel Deals

Hotel Kazurabashi Tokushima Reviews

sarahsan sarahsan
Excellent soak in nature! May 09, 2013
When I visited friends in Sakaide we decided to go to the Iya Vally for the weekend. The original plan was to spend the night at Hotel Kazurabashi, but unfortunatley my friends husband had to work until 5 pm on the Saturday. Since it was at least a two hour drive from Sakaide it would mean that we would get there quite late and have little time to enjoy the facilities. The price was also quite steep, 28,000 yen ($280), which would not be worth it for such a short stay. Instead we did the day package, which included the use of the hotspring and a FANTASTIC lunch. All for $40.

We arrived around 11 am, was greated at the door and showed into the reception by friendly and helpful staff. After we had been informed about the facilities and the lunch time, we took the elevator to the top floor. From there we exit the building and boarded the hotel´s private small wooden funicular, which took us up the mountain to the hot spring area.

As you exit the funicular you walk into a nice landscaped garden. Behind the tea we found a foot bath. We just had to sit down and take in the beautiful view of the valley. What a wonderful place. Even if you are not having tea, the tea house is beautiful in a traditional old-style, and well-worth looking at.

After a short rest we continued to the bath house. Since men and women are seperate we said good bye to my friends husband for a while (we later learned that there was a mix bath too). The outdoor bath is absolutely wonderful. There were two private hot tubs and a small pool made of stones with a slate bottom. The bath, like all onsens, is hot and incredibly relaxing, and claims a beneficial effect on a wide variety of ills. I´m ready to believe anything. The view from the pool of blossoming cherry trees and the surrounding forest-covered hills was spectacular.

After we were finished in the bath house we walked back down the hill, passing several small bath houses. Those were private bathouses for rent. Inside there is a round concrete tub with a metal bottom. Since the water is very hot, the metal gets even hoter. Therefore there is a round wooden piece floating on top of the water. When you get in you push the wooden piece down into the water to stand on, so your feet don´t touch the metal bottom.

The restuarant was on the ground floor next to the reception, superb in every respect. Our food was being prepared as we walked in. The interior was typical Japanse with tables in a suncken pit in the floor (so glad that I didn´t have to sit on my legs or with my legs crossed). A traditional Japanese open-pit fireplace sat at each table. Our lunch was of an excellent quality and presentation, truly in a "traditional" Japanese style. A meal is based on five flavors, five cooking methods and five colors. It should include a grilled dish, a deep-fried dish, a pickled dish, a tofu dish and a soup dish. There were multitudes of small beautiful dishes, which seemed to keep coming in an endless stream. The speciality was mountain related meats and vegetables. We were served excellent and tasty local food that I will remember for a long time.

If you decide to spend the night the hotel is a classic Japanese onsen hotel. Rooms have tatami floors and guests sleep on futons, which may not suit the backs of some Westerners.

The location is excellent for exploring the Iya Valley sights. The hotel is a little over-priced, but the day package was great value. The staff was very attentive and friendly and the service was genuine. I can highly recommend Hotel Kazurabashi.
Private tubs
sarahsan says:
It was a great deal Yunni!
gingerbatik says:
seems very good value with yummy lunch
sarahsan says:
It was Alli! We had a great day!

Check Tokushima Hotel Deals