Hotel Holt

Hotel Holt Rates and Deals

Hotel Holt Reykjavik Reviews

Chokk Chokk
Like staying in an Art Museum ! Jan 09, 2011
One of my friends had been going to Iceland many times over the last 30 years and he had for at least 25 times stayed at Hotel Holt which he called the best hotel in the country. He had even given me the business card from the hotel if I once should make it up there.

I therefore felt that I hardly had any choice when I booked my hotel for this my first Iceland trip. I found the hotel on Booking.com and booked a nice double room for a fair amount with was 90 euro per day. When I told my friend that I was leaving for Iceland and staying at his favourite hotel; he asked if he could come along and I naturally said yes. My friend booked his room through Icelandair’s homepage and got it even cheaper than me.

Hotel Holt is a 4 star hotel with only 42 rooms of which 12 are suites. The hotel does maybe not look like much at a first glance; if looked kind of boring from the outside. When I entered I could see that the hotel was something special. Inside the hotel was looking much more old fashioned; there were dark classical palisade wood everywhere. There were antique furniture and wonderful original paintings all over the walls; as my friend said to me; it is like the national museum of modern art.

When I entered the reception I was greeted by as sweet smiling Icelandic girl addressing me in English. Next to the reception my friend Finn was sitting in a red leather armchair reading a newspaper. I checked in got my internet access and the key for my room on the 4th floor. Finn was also staying on the 4th floor and said that I should come down to his room when I had checked in so I could see one of the suites. As a regular coming there for ages his was naturally upgraded.

I dropped all my stuff in the room except a bottle of Ballantine’s 17 year old that I bought in the airport in Copenhagen. I had looked forward to taste this blended Scotch whisky that has swept aside all single malt rivals to take the prestigious Jim Murray’s Whisky Bible Award for 2011 and my guess had been that surrounding of this wonderful hotel would be a great place to do it.

When I entered Finn’s suite I knew I was right. Finn looked at my bottle with delight and found two glasses while I opened the bottle and enjoyed the look of his room. The suite was actually two rooms because he had a big bedroom and a wonderful living room. The living room was with two 2-person sofa´s and two single chairs in red leather and classic design. There were original paintings on the wall, a large flat screen and a coffee machine.

Finn had brought a fair amount of books about Iceland with him which almost covered the table in front of the sofa. We had 1½ hour before our dinner reservation at a nearby restaurant so we made a serious attack on the marvellous whiskey and looked in the many books to get the best out of our short stay.

My room was not as large as Finn’s but I was more than satisfied. I had a view over the old part of Reykjavik and a balcony that I could step out on from my room. I had a great bed, wonderful bathroom and nice furniture’s; I was more than satisfied.

In the hotel all the rooms, halls and lounges are filled with wonderful art produced by some of the best artists in Iceland; it is actually the largest privately held art collection on Iceland.

The hotel is situated on a small quiet road which is only a few minutes’ walk from the city centre and all the city’s restaurants and bars; the main shopping street is only 500 meters walk from the hotel.

The hotel hosts also one of the best restaurants in Iceland which also houses a huge wine selection with more than 4000 bottles in the basement. The hotel also hosts Skálholtbar which is well known for its selection of more than 120 different single malts. The comfort in the lounge is great; sitting in the leather furniture looking in to the fireplace with something nice to drink is just wonderful.
My bed
Part of the room and the view
My room
My bathroom
Chokk says:
I really loved it there - and it is not far from the city center - and you have a super restaurant just up the hill
Posted on: Feb 08, 2012

Hotel Holt Overview

The hotel is located on a quiet street and is just a short walk from the many restaurants and bars in the area. Those staying at the Hotel Holt will also only be a short walk from the main shopping areas. They can visit the National Art Gallery, the cathedral, and more. The airport is only 45 km from the Hotel Holt and is easily reachable with rental cars or public transportation. Those staying at the hotel will also find that many attractions are within walking distance.

The Hotel Holt has 42 rooms featuring modern décor, leather furnishings, and original artwork. The rooms also have wireless access to the Internet, satellite TV, direct dial phones, mini bars, desks, safes, and air conditioning. The bathrooms include hairdryers and bathrobes.

The hotel offers a 24-hr front desk, complimentary newspapers in the lobby, and laundry facilities. Those arriving to the Hotel Holt by car will find onsite parking. The hotel also has an onsite restaurant that serves French inspired fare.

Hotel Holt Amenities

• Direct dial phone
  • Facsimile
  • Fitness Facilities
  • Massage
  • Internet Connection (wireless)
  • Shower
  • Shoe Shine
  • Free Parking

Related Travel Blogs About Hotel Holt

First beers in Iceland ever!
I could only remember that I had tasted Icelandic beer once before coming to Iceland and that was in Stockholm almost a year ago to the day at the great bar of the First Hotel Amaranten. There was th…Hotel Holt in the centre of Reykjavik. He later told me that he had followed the plane on one of his many…
Arriving at Reykjavik
Arriving in Reykjavik The drive from Keflavik in to Reykjavik was a nice ride; the roads were really broad and there were hardly any cars on the road. I had brought my GPS along and I only had use f…Reykjavik in order to find my hotel; Hotel Holt. My friend Finn had recommended the hotel to me and he had stayed…

Check Hotel Holt Rates and Deals