Hotel Grand United (Ahlone Branch)

No. 35, Yangon, Myanmar

Check Yangon Hotel Deals

Hotel Grand United (Ahlone Branch) Yangon Reviews

northlight northlig…
nice hotel but not close to anything Sep 13, 2015
Good value is hard to find in Yangon at the moment because there is not much competition so hotels tend to charge above what you might expect. This hotel had received some decent reviews and I could get a room with a view of the Shwedagon Pagoda for 80USD a night which I was kind of ok with.

When you get to the hotel the first thing you realise is that there is pretty much nothing of interest within walking distance. This is a little disappointing and makes you feel a bit isolated from places and more importantly means that you will require a taxi every time you go some place. This isn't the worst thing in the world but often I like it if there are some interesting things within walking distance of my hotel.

Inside the hotel it is very nice. Next to the lobby area there is a café. There is lots of information about Yangon for you to browse through, there is a souvenir shop, and a comfortable seating area where you can read or watch some television.

The room was quite basic but had the things that I needed. The best feature of my room was the great view of the Shwedagon Pagoda. You never get tired of looking at this amazing sight. It shines brightly throughout the night and the only time you may not see it, is if there is extremely heavy rain passing through Yangon, which there was a lot of during my stay, but still most of the time even when it is raining you can still see it.

The other feature of the hotel which is a real positive is the buffet breakfast which was included in my booking. I think it must be included automatically for everyone because they do not ask for your room number or anything when you arrive at the restaurant. I stayed three nights and each morning I had a selection of fruits, bacon and toast, and also a plate of fried rice, along with some fresh juice. I also enjoyed a very nice curry in the evening at the same restaurant.

If I ever return to Yangon I'm not certain that I would book this hotel again because there will probably be more choice next time, and I may well prefer a different location. Disregarding the location issues though, I think it is a decent place and has some good things going for it. Although I mentioned before that you need a taxi to go places, the hotel does offer a complimentary shuttle to Shwedagon Pagoda, Chinatown, and Bogyoke Aung San Market. However the shuttle is only one-way and leaves at a set time for each place. Just ask at reception to book your seat because it is first come first serve.
Shwedagon Pagoda view from my room
double bed
tv, desk, fridge, sitting area
entrance, wardrobe and the bathroo…
Cho says:
Congratulations on this featured review. I don't know of this hotel, so it must be a fairly new one.
Posted on: Sep 27, 2015
halilee says:
Congrats on your review!! :D
Posted on: Sep 25, 2015
northlight says:
I had to take a taxi to the Sule Pagoda :)
Posted on: Sep 13, 2015