Hotel Flandria

Hotel Flandria Rates and Deals

Hotel Flandria Budapest Reviews

DoosCah DoosCah
Absolutely no frills, be cautious Jun 01, 2011
This place was very basic. It is the cheapest accommodation I have seen (roughly £25 for 2 nights). They say it is a 1 star hotel, but I would say it is less, more like a local hostel.

The place is fairly well located in that it is a single bus journey from the city centre of Deak Ferenc. That bus journey is about 25/30 minutes though. However, there is plenty of relevant landmarks to see on the route.

We checked in around 5pm and were greeted with half a dozen Hungarian children screaming and sprinting through our corridor. We naturally assumed that the staff would get wind of it (if not for anything else, than the sheer level of noise and rampage) and 'manage' their establishment. We were mistaken. We returned at 11pm to more of the same.

When we first arrived we found several drunken hobo looking workmen congregating near our room door in the corridor. I got the feeling they were trying to intimidate us (albeit lightly) by growling a few drunken words our way but I couldn't understand.

By this token, I checked the security of the place before we dropped our belongings for the evening to head out into Budapest and became concerned. The room was very poorly secured with an old, cheap door which had clearly been breached several times previously and 'mended' by some Polyfilla type substance. Another flimsy lock had been fitted in it's place which looked like it could have been forced through with a firm push. I know you get what you pay for but surely the very least you can expect anywhere is secured luggage.

Following this, I decided that our luggage and valuables were not safe in the room. This decision was reinforced by the notice under the check-in desk "The hotel is in no way responsible for any personal property in the building". We explained our concern to the staff and were quite surprised to find they were friendly and very helpful. They allowed us to store our bags in a locked cupboard just by their desk.

The room itself was huge. However, it looked just like a prison cell without bars and a better view. Nevertheless, there was a choice of 4 rough looking single beds. The beds themselves were deceptively strong and comfortable. We were awoken by what sounded like someone moving house above us and to add insult to injury, the cleaning staff let themselves into our room at something to 10 in the morning while we were still in bed.

The shower area continued that prison feeling by its look. Hot water wasn't an issue and there were plenty of showers to use with see-through shower curtains as standard. The only thing that was not clear was where women showered and where men showered. Even now, I still don't know if I was in the right place, luckily, nobody else used the bathroom area at the same time. The quickest shower I've ever had!

The hotel had a reliable link for taxi's back to the airport, he was bang on time, helpful and fast. His price was also very reasonable. I would recommend you use that service they arrange for you.
Hotel Flandria - The outside