Hotel Dom Pedro Baia Club
Hotel Dom Pedro Baia Club Rates and Deals
Hotel Dom Pedro Baia Club Machico Reviews
Can be good value for money - but has some shortfalls Apr 23, 2010
I did not plan to stay in this hotel - I booked it on the day itself on lastminute.com due to flight cancellations and the volcanic ash cloud. Booked at such short notice, the room was £30 per night - which was very good value for money. The location of the hotel (five minutes and a 6 Euro taxi ride from the airport) and said price meant this was the hotel of choice for many airlines stranding their passengers, and from being virtually empty, the hotel went to absolutely full almost instantly.
I don't usually stay in four star hotels, but as it was the cheapest hotel I could book online... well, here is what I liked:
* Clean rooms with excellent bathrooms
* Fair breakfast buffet
* Communal areas, pools, etc were available
* Entertainments: most of the people who were in a good mood and up for that sort of thing seemed to enjoy the entertainers and the folk dancing opportunities.
Here's what I disliked:
* Most descriptions of facilities lie or stretch the truth: Internet access is almost non-existant. No wi-fi. Only one ancient PC terminal in the hotel foyer offers guests web access, of up to 15 minutes per guest, on a slow connection, and without any privacy (there was invariably a queue of people behind the person using the PC, and mostly, they watched, read emails over the shoulder, etc.) - if you have a laptop with you, or a mobile phone with wifi capability, your best bet is the library or the sea front, where free wifi exists.
* Laundry room? No. A definite lie in the description that was online when I booked.
* Laundry service? There is dry-cleaning service available, but as they have to send all the stuff to their partner hotel in Funchal by minibus, there is a 24-hour delay, and staff will do everything to dissuade you from trying to access that service.
* Entertainments: From 9pm every evening, the communal areas (and adjacent rooms) were flooded in noise.
* Dinner buffet. 16 Euros? For a canteen meal? Needless to say, I did not partake in that - the nearby restaurants offer better value and choice.
* Paper thin walls. While sitting in my room, it was perfectly possible to overhear all the details of a quiet conversation in the next room, every single footstep on the floor above, etc. - basically, you need an iPod to tune out the other guests and their conversations.
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
Hotel Dom Pedro Baia Club Overview
Estrada de Sao Roque, 5, Machico, Madeira 9200-176
Located on the Island of Madeira the Dom Pedro Baia Club is a four-Star Hotel with 218 guestrooms in a privileged location, next to the picturesque fishing village of Machico and only 5 kilometres from the International Airport and close to Funchal. The hotel is surrounded by lush gardens with a magnificent view of the sea and the only sand beach on the Island.
Business facilities Internet Conference Rooms Meeting Rooms TV
Children facilities Children's play area Cot on request Cots / Cribs Crib on request Outdoor play area Childrens Pool
Hotel facilities Car rental desk City tours Currency Exchange Dry cleaning Elevator/Lift Garage Gardens Hair Salon Laundry Library Limited parking Lobby bar Parking Reading room Reception (24 hours) Reception desk Tour desk Wireless internet 24 hour concierge
Leisure facilities Badminton Beach access Beach volleyball Bicycle rental Daytime and evening entertainment Diving Evening entertainment Games room Golf course Hair dresser Hair Salon Jogging track Mini Library Outdoor swimming pool Snooker Sports Shop Sun Beds Swimming pool Tennis Water Sports
Room facilities Alarm clock Balcony Cable television City Map Connecting Rooms Daily housekeeping En-Suite Bathroom Telephone Television Wake-up calls Work Desk Mini-bar Pay-per-view movies Safe Private bathroom with bathtub Private bathroom with bath/shower Heating Hairdryer (on request)
Restaurant Baia de Zarco: Enjoy the Machico bay from a privileged position whilst having breakfast or lunch. In the evening, enjoy a more intimate atmosphere that is created for dinner.
Bar Piano Bar: This friendly bar is on the third floor of the hotel, and is ideally placed for guests wishing to take afternoon tea. Every night, there is live entertainment, and guests may enjoy a pleasant sociable drink together. Pool Bar: This bar is located next to the outdoor swimming pool. Opening times: 10:00 am until 4:00 pm, with lunch available until 2:30 pm.
Children policy Children welcome
Pets policy Pets not permitted
Smoking policy Smoking permitted in designated guest rooms Smoking permitted in designated public areas
Check-in time: 14:00 Check-out time: 12:00
Local Attractions Beach Matriz Church: 300.0 Metre Funchal: 25.0 Kilometre Promenade: 150.0 Metre Santo da Serra Golf Course: 6.0 Kilometre
Location Nearest airport: Funchal Directions: Public buses run from the airport to the town centre. Taxis are available from outside the terminal building and should cost around 10 Euros.
Credit cards accepted by hotel American Express Diners Club International Eurocard Mastercard Multibanco Visa Visa Electron
Hotel Dom Pedro Baia Club Amenities