Hotel Discovery

Check Melbourne Hotel Deals

Hotel Discovery Melbourne Reviews

derekbilldaly derekbil…
Wasteful Potential Jan 29, 2010
I'll be honest from the outset, this hostel was not initially our first choice of hostel but with the Australian Open taking place just down the road, most places were booked out.

Hotel Discovery is a very large hostel with many beds and even has a bar down in the basement. The travel desk is very good and offer excellent free advice without being too pushy. The staff in general were pretty helpful and friendly.

They offer a basic free breakfast but also serve cheap good meals throughout the day if wish not to cook in the larger fully stocked kitchen. In all the time I was there, my food seemed/felt pretty safe.

The hostel run free activities every day ranging from movie night to city and beach tours. They also put on transport to the tennis games. Having said that, the tennis was only a short walk away as was the train station and all the museums, shops and bars.

The hostel is greatly hampered by the general hygiene of the bathrooms and shower rooms which were average at best but mostly below even that. In all the time that I was there, I never noticed the rooms being cleaned.

Another gripe I have is that the stairs only goes to the 2nd floor so you had to take the lift that was both very slow and very very unreliable.

The size of the hostel also was a disadvantage for meeting fellow travellers as it was so large and busy with people passing through.
melissak melissak
Melbourne hostels Jan 23, 2008
This hostel is a decent place to stay in Melbourne. Online it looked great, as most do. It has all the makings of a great hostel:a kitchen, big rooms, rooftop area, a bar, a restaurant, travel agent, internet, free tours of the city..but it still is one of the most average places I've ever stayed.

I will say, however, that the free tours they offer are great. That was a really good way of meeting other people at the hostel and to see parts of Melbourne that you would not normally see..ie going to the old Collingwood footy ground. It was great.

The hostel itself though is giant, which makes it not very personal at all and if it weren't for the tours it is VERY hard to meet people here. The bar has a funny smell to it..not sure how to describe it. There is free brekkie which is a bonus. I don't recall ever seeing the bathrooms being cleaned or the rooms the whole time we were there. The rooftop area is really cool, great views of Melbourne..I watched last years Australia Day fireworks from there.

The location is pretty good, its up near the Vic Markets so not right in the heart of the CBD but still walking distance to most things and there is a free tram that circles the city that I think is close to this place. Also, if you are coming from Avalon airport taking the Sunbus, it will drop you off right at the front door(the Franklin st stop) which was a great surprise for us when we went there.

All that being said, I had a great time here because of all the people I met on my city tour so I'd say its a decent place to stay.
not the best photo of the actual h…
Eric says: