Hotel Dioskuria

Sakharova Street, Sokhumi, Georgia

Hotel Dioskuria Sokhumi Reviews

maykal maykal
Hotel Dioskuria Jul 05, 2016
The Dioskuria is a brand new hotel right in the centre of Sokhumi, on the corner of Freedom Square with a view of the burnt out government building across the park (see photo). I don't have the best reason for choosing it...needing an address in Abkhazia for the visa form, I went on to Booking.com and found the Dioskuria to be the only place in Sokhumi that didn't require a bank transfer in advance, and with it being July (high season in Abkhazia), I booked their last room immediately for two nights. It turned out to be a very good idea.

My room was comfortable and quite large, with a good bathroom, a large double bed, and a table and chair by the window, which looked out over the square. Wi-fi was provided free, and the connection in my room was pretty good. The hotel doesn't have a dining room, so breakfast (included in the price) is served in the room. It was a fairly standard breakfast of cheese, meat, bread, a foil-wrapped croissant, a boxed juice drink, local yoghurt, and a bowl of either rice pudding or porridge. Tea was provided in the room with a kettle, but one drawback was that there was no coffee (I'm a big coffee addict...but Sokhumi isn't short of cafes luckily!). My room also had a minibar, stocked with Sokhumskoye beer, Abkhaz wine and some local soft drinks, while bottled water was provided free each morning.

On arrival, there was a bit of confusion, as I don't think they were used to having a guest who didn't speak Russian. A couple of the receptionists could speak a bit of English and I tried my best with a few Russian phrases, but with more complicated things, they used to call up an English speaking friend (who I later found out works as a receptionist in another hotel!). I arrived an hour or so before check-in, so my room wasn't ready and I decided to try and sort out my visa while waiting. The receptionist called up her friend to tell me where to go and what to do, and the hotel even sent their security man with me to the ministry.

After one night, I decided I would like to stay longer in Abkhazia, but unfortunately the Hotel Dioskuria was fully booked, so I had to try and find somewhere else to stay. If that hadn't have been the case, I would have been quite happy to stay longer in the Dioskuria. The location during the day is very good, being a short walk to most attractions, on the same street as the ministry for your visa, and not far from the seafront...at night,

the area is quite quiet and dark, as most of the action happens down by the water.

The price for my double room was 3500 Russian Rubles per night (about 48 Euros, £40, $54 as of July 2016), and payment was in cash only. They did have a card machine, but it would only accept Russian cards. However right next to the entrance was an ATM which accepted Visa and Mastercard. It was more than I would usually spend on a hotel, but I was happy with what I got for my money.

They do have a website at hotel-dioskuria.ru but trying to load that one, I got a message to say the website had been hacked...try it at your own peril! Otherwise, try booking through one of the big online hotel websites. An unofficial page is http://www.tppra.org/en/novost/hotel-dioscuria
This is not the Hotel Dioskuria! H…
View from my hotel window, Freedom…
planxty says:
Yet another brilliant review. You have certainly been busy
Posted on: Mar 26, 2017
HORSCHECK says:
Fantastic hotel review here. Well done.
Posted on: Jan 28, 2017