Hotel Damrak

Hotel Damrak Rates and Deals

Hotel Damrak Amsterdam Reviews

rebelfactory rebelfac…
Major differences between rooms... Jul 14, 2011
I have stayed at the Damrak twice, the first time I was there sometime around 2006, with a girlfriend at the time, we both thought the room was nice - hardwood flooring throughout and a nice big bathroom. It all appeared to nice and remodeled. But it was around 90 Euros, and this was in 2006.

However there were some downsides. For example the windows in this particular room did not really open much, just a few inches. It was a smoking room, and someone decided to light up (hey it is Amsterdam after all), anyway the fire alarm ended up going off, not the one in the room, but right outside the door was a building-wide smoke detector.

The breakfast at the time was very standard, cereal and yogurt, and I believe some crackers.

I went again in mid 2009 with my sister, and I recommended we just show up in Amsterdam without advanced reservations. So we did, and we went to the Damrak (based on my previous experience), we paid around 70 Euros, were asked if we wanted to see the room first, but I said its okay (again, based on my previous experiences).

This room was a tad different, it was really small but did contain two beds, and the bathroom was old fashioned and small. No hardwood flooring, but old carpet instead. The windows in this room opened wide, but I saw someone had put a sock on top of the smoke detector in the room. When I removed this, it was back the next morning, so I am assuming the hotel realized being so central, and offering smoking rooms sort of does not work if the alarm are going to be going off all the time (I mean again, its Amsterdam).

Do I recommend it? Its not bad for the price, I mean if its two folks then paying 70 a room (35 a pop) is a lot better than paying 30-40 a person for some 8er Hostel room.

If you dislike the smell of marijuana, I suggest mentioning that to the staff before getting a room (so one can be found far away from the "smoking" rooms), or avoid the hotel. If you are looking for luxury, again, avoid the hotel.

However for those that are OK with hostel quality beds and whatnot, with perhaps a lucky perk (like getting a nice room the first time) then it is worth it. Why? For one the price is not too high, and the location? It is very very central. Perhaps 5 or so minutes from the central train station. Easy to find. Secure. Breakfast is included, and the second time around it even included things like eggs and bacon for those who wished to indulge.
Montie_M Montie_M
The place NOT TO GO!! Beware the Warning May 05, 2010
By far, the worst hotel I have seen till date. We booked this hotel thinking that the location was great and the website photos looked pleasing enough.

When we got there, we were given a top floor unit which was like about 50sqft with a sloping roof which just made us feel claustraphobic.

The linens were stained and we started to itch just minutes after sitting on them!!.. We managed to get the hell outa there and later we found out that they had alot of complaints before us and we were not the first!!

To all would be travellers to Amsterdam, DO BEWARE OF THIS HOTEL.
haikell says:
Yes, I totally agree with you 100%. Adding to this, those China people at the reception are not friendly at all. A very poor service I must say.
Posted on: May 05, 2010

Hotel Damrak Overview

Around the Hotel Damrak, you will enjoy access to numerous top attractions. The Anne Frank House is located nearby, as is the Royal Palace. The Van Gogh Museum and the Heineken brewery are also worth visiting. Don't miss Madame Tussaud's Museum during your stay at this Amsterdam hotel, either. The Hotel Damrak offers complimentary shuttle service, enabling you to reach the international airport with ease. You will also discover this hotel is located within a few minutes walk of Central Station, for easier travel.

During your stay with the Hotel Damrak, you will enjoy your choice of 36 rooms. Choose from singles, doubles and suites. Each guestroom offers several standard amenities for your enjoyment, as well. You will find private baths, color TV programming, direct-dial phones and more.

Located near Dam Square and Central Station, the Hotel Damrak offers travelers considerable convenience during their stay in the city. This Amsterdam hotel provides a central location, as well as numerous amenities for greater enjoyment.

Hotel Damrak Amenities

• Bath / Hot Tub
  • Hair Dryer
  • TV
  • Excursions
  • Internet Connection (wireless)
  • Shower
  • Luggage Storage
  • Family Room
  • Gay/Lesbian Friendly

Related Travel Blogs About Hotel Damrak

A taste of Amsterdam
If Paris is style, Amsterdam is cool. And not cool in the high school manner of the kid who gets into trouble and bullies others around, but the authentic "I don't give a damn what you think about…hotel room on Damrak in medieval Amsterdam. The next morning we started by walking through the streets and over…

Check Hotel Damrak Rates and Deals