Hotel California

Check Zurich Hotel Deals

Hotel California Zurich Reviews

Toonsarah Toonsarah
Quirky with a very central location May 21, 2017
The Hotel California has an excellent central location on a pedestrianised street one block away from the river. It is above a restaurant so there was a steepish flight of steps to reception where we were greeted by a friendly Slovenian girl who checked us in. This is a somewhat quirky place to find in a Swiss city, with American-themed décor - the lift painted to look like Monument Valley, paintings of diners in my room, and the colours of the south west deserts everywhere - I even had the lyrics of the Eagles' song displayed on my wall.

My room on the second floor was not large but more than adequate, with a double bed (Toblerones on the pillows!), a small desk under the window, plenty of storage, a safe, coffee-making facilities and complimentary bottled water. The bathroom was simple but clean, with what seemed be very new fittings and plenty of towels. Being at the back I had no view but also no street noise, although I was awoken early by noise from what I assumed was the kitchen somewhere below me.

Breakfast is served in the restaurant on the ground floor (the equally eclectic Papa Joe's). There is quite an extensive buffet but I wasn’t prepared to pay Zurich prices when I don’t usually eat a large breakfast, so I was pleased that I could chose to take just a croissant and coffee for a much lower price.

Overall I was very pleased with my choice of base for our get-together in Zurich and would certainly happily stay here again.
My bedroom
Stairs to reception
Papa Joe's on the ground floor, wh…
In Papa Joe's
Toonsarah says:
That's interesting Chris. I don't think this place makes quite such a deal out of the name (there's no suggestion it inspired the song) but I did wonder if there could be issues in using it. Although they seem to have done so for some time ...
Posted on: Jun 04, 2017
TravelingChris says:
The Eagles sued a similar place in Mexico...only a matter of time until they get around to this one in Zurich!

Posted on: Jun 03, 2017