Hotel Breidafjordur

Stykkisholmur, Iceland
Hotel Breidafjordur - What a relief: In case the TV catches fire, just use the hose hanging right beside it.
Hotel Breidafjordur - Building in the centre

Check Stykkisholmur Hotel Deals

Hotel Breidafjordur Stykkisholmur Reviews

wagslikeadog wagslike…
Dull as a Dormitory May 20, 2012
I booked this hotel online in advance and my contact person was very pleasant, so I had hight hopes...But pulling into the parking spaces immediately in front of the hotel, I was hoping that the boring, white, square structure secretly housed something cozy and comfortable...But sadly I was wrong.

Even though it was around 5PM, there was no one working at the reception desk, only a sign that stated "Please use the phone to call us", but the phone accompanying the sign didn't work! Although I was uncomfortable doing it, I had to go behind the counter to look for another and luckily found one to call the staff, who arrived shortly after from somewhere else. (Not the person I'd shared emails with to reserve the room) Not a very good start.

The building itself has no character and feels more like a college dormitory than a hotel that cost me 120EU/night. All the walls were whitewashed with dull, dark carpet that looked like it was from the 70's and there was no restaurant in the hotel. (There was a "cafeteria" room for breakfast).

The room was just as dull as the rest of the hotel: White walls with beige drapes on light brown, wood laminate floors. White blankets on the bed and furniture that was also dull and featureless. Lots of windows which was nice, but no blackout curtains, so we had to wear sleep masks due to the 24 hour daylight in the spring. Not cool. The bathroom was small and basic with drab lighting and finish. At least the room and WC were clean...

No TV, radio or clock in the room, but there was a TV in a common sitting area on the 2nd floor that had a coiled up firehose directly beside it on the wall and another small, narrow sitting area in a "sunroom" nearby too. There is a view of nothing but surrounding buildings in the sunroom, by the way. It seems like they just didn't put much thought into aesthetics at this hotel.

The ultimate "ouch" was: I paid 120EU for my night at this basic, yawn of a hotel! I thought I did my homework and had found a good choice in Stykkisholmur, but clearly I was wrong! For this kind of money, there has got to be something better in town.

Very disappointing.