Hotel Asian Plaza

Main Mall, McLeod Ganj, India

Hotel Asian Plaza McLeod Ganj Reviews

fullstopindia fullstop…
Spendy for the area but a nice place to recharge Nov 05, 2009
During my initial visit to Mcleodganj back in 2006 I was immediately taken by the Asian Plaza Hotel. I remember walking up the hill from the bus stand where we managed to find parking and standing in the middle of the Main Square. The lights from the hotel sign were calling me to step in. So I did. The experience was such that when we arrived in 2009 I knew what hotel to turn to.

Mcleodganj is chock full of budget guest houses, HPTDC hotels among other upscale hotels. None of them have the superior location as Asian Plaza. Located right in the main intersection of the Main Square you are in the thick of the action. From the front steps you have a birds eye view of the main roads, shops and shoppers. From the rooms you have spectacular views off your private balcony of the mountains.

The rooms are large, neat and clean, and offer full time running water. Ask for a balcony room if they don’t show it to you upfront. The usual amenities at this price point are here such as laundry service, room service as well as a rooftop restaurant. Since 2006 the TV’s have been upgraded to LCD flat screens adding a bit more floor space for luggage storage.

Parking used to be available inside a small garage attached to the building. However with the construction of a huge new parking garage down the road from the bus stand it appears that is the go-to spot.

You really have to haggle for a discount here. Once we were checked in on my most recent visit, one of the hotel staff mentioned if we had worked the front desk gal even harder she would have come down more. The published rate for the room I took is Rs 2400 which was offered, reluctantly, for Rs 2000, tax included.

The hotel staff, outside of the front desk, are terrific. The group of guys they have employed there are genuinely a good bunch. While exploring Dharamsala one of the guys saw us on his day off and stopped to say hello. He was on his way to a wedding in his village but stopped to chat. On the day we checked out another one of the guys we came to know after 3 nights needed a ride to Dharamsala and we were happy to offer. Super guys, super place to stay.
McLeod Ganj Map