Hotel Akouas

Check Meknes Hotel Deals

Hotel Akouas Meknes Reviews

sarahsan sarahsan
Stuck in the elevator Apr 25, 2011
Hotel Akouas is a 3* family run hotel. It is located in Meknès Ville Novelle, the new city, just a 10 minutes walk from the train station. The reception was a bit dark and the personnel somewhat absent minded.

The elevator only fitted two people at a time. Since we were 11 people using the it, I guess it was too much for the poor elevator. I was getting off at the 5th floor, where it did not stop. It went straight to the 6th floor. On the way down again it started to shake and mad a couple of hops, then it stopped. The electricity went on and off and it was finally pitch black in the lelevator. I had no idea if I was between two floors or not. After I had pushed the alarm button, I don´t know how many times, I heard someone trying to open the door. He did not succeed and the guy left. Great! I while later they did manage to open the door and I was rescued. Quite a way to welcome guests to a hotel.

My room was spacious, had a double bed in one room and a sitting area next to it. The room was equipped with a desk, but no chair, a TV which I never turned on and an AC. I had a balcony and being on the 5th floor this meant a nice view over the city.

It was a good sized bathroom decorated with white and green tiles. It had a tub, but no amenities. The cleanliness was a disgrace. The mirror was sprayed with toothpaste stains, the faucet had soap stains all over it and the glasses were full of toothpaste leftovers.

Hotel Akouas has a restaurant, where breakfast was served for DH 40 (€4) and “tourist” dinner for Dh 143 (€14,30). Breakfast was boring and service below average. Breakfast consisted of tea/coffee, a piece of baguette, a pain au chocolat and jam, which were brought to you, there was no buffet. You are better off at the pastry shop around the corner.

There are also a bar and a night club in the hotel as well as an indoor pool. I wanted to take a closer look at it, but it was locked. In the reception I was told that it was closed for the day, but would open again the next morning at 8 am. The pool closes at 6:30 pm, sp I pointed out that it was only 6 pm. The receptionist just said “yes”, looked at his watch and laughed at me.

Being located at the main street there were quite a bit of traffic noise there. I also heard the music from the night club.

The room qualifies for 4*, but the lack of service, I had to ask about everything, no information was offered to me, makes the hotel end up with 3*. Because of the nice room and the price of €40, I would stay here again.

Rates are:

Dh 40 breakfast

Dh 143 dinner
The balcony
sarahsan says:
No worries Carlos, there are plenty of good hotels in Morocco.
montecarlostar says:
Thanjs for the info! Makes me wonder if there's any hotel in Morocco with at least average service!
Africancrab says:
Great reveiw Sarah, thanks for sharing.

Check Meknes Hotel Deals