Hotel 1929

Hotel 1929 Rates and Deals

Hotel 1929 Singapore Reviews

shasya shasya
Retro Boutique Hotel Sep 05, 2010
Since this is a conceptual retro boutique hotel I am going to share my experience retrospectively:

After checking out, whilst I was having breakfast at Ember with my companion I overheard a conversation another guest had with his companion: In a rather uppity British accent, he commented that his room in 1929 was like "being in a shoebox"... and therefore he felt it was a "strange hotel"...

Both my companion and I couldn't help but giggle.

We stayed at room 311 which was the Junior Suite, therefore it was slightly a bit more spacious than the Superior and Deluxe Rooms.

Being a budget/boutique hotel, chances of early check-in and late check-out are minimal, so there is a "hidden storeroom" near the reception to keep your lugguge/bags. This will "free you up" to enjoy the surrouding areas of Keong Saik right up to the heart of Chinatown.

I can imagine if you are a petite person then I would think you will find the Superior rooms just right. If you are travelling as a couple with a small child then I would suggest the Deluxe Room or if you can budget for it the Junior Suite. The Junior Suite gives you the option to have it as a king or super twin (please request at the point of reservation so that you won't be dissapointed).

Honeymooners and couples would enjoy the Terrace Suite with the outdoor tub.

I had wanted to stay at the Terrace Suite unfortunately it was not available and always seemed to be fully booked during the time frame I wanted.

I had no issues with service staff and the limited room service did not bother me as I simply ordered in pizza.

Smart use of small spaces meant you had to store your luggage in the large drawer compartments at the bottom of your bed.

The highlight of the hotel is the outdoor jacuzzi, I did not have a chance to use it as I was quite contented with the privacy of enjoying the vintage cast iron tub available in my room.

When 1929 opened in 2003 it was quite popular and dare I say it started a whole new trend of concept boutique hotels here in Singapore.

I do love staying at conserved shophouse hotels as I support protecting heritage sites. It is not just about revamping old buildings, making them current and relevant, but rather safekeeping unique treasures that have been handed to us by previous generations in order for future generations to appreciate.

Hotel 1929 in my opnion has became a cultural gem and it is wonderful place as a base to explore Singapore's Chinatown.
Room 311 - Junior Suite
Combined to be king sized bed
Wash Basin
indosaunch indosaun…
cute, comfortable, and stylish Nov 16, 2010
I enjoyed the hotel very much. I arrived very early - as in 10:00 am and they still let me check in and set my belongings down in my room- awesome! My first thoughts were, "nice decore!" colorful, sweet rocking chair, pretty bedspread. my second thoughts were, "this is kinda small!" It was perfect for just me, may have been a little crammed for two people- especially if it were just friends sharing. the toilet and shower (at least in my room) was separated by two glass walls- which were opaque around a meter long- just enough to cover those areas you would want covered if someone was in the hotel room while you were on the toilet or in the shower. the sink is in the main room.

loved the flat screen t.v., the comfy bed, the dark shades- so you could sleep in, the super cute, bright orange mini fridge with complimentary beverages. didn't take part in the free breakfast, but the restaurant looked awesome so i'm sure that was great too! great location-right in Chinatown. the people at the front desk were fantastic and helpful- and offered a great recommendation for Indian food in little india. overall- great place!
Debarchan27 Debarcha…
boutique hotel Jun 23, 2010
I normally stay here when visiting singapore, due to its locational advantage and as my company has a tie up with them. Also the hotel is a WWII heritage building renovated to a hotel. The chinatown is nearby, lotsa karoke and watering holes nearby. The rooms are small, the bed just ok... The bathroom too small an is a glass one so very uncomfortable if you have a visitor and u need to use it...the basin is inside the room next to the bed which also is uncomfortable but seems to be a heritage stay so....

it has a nice open air jacuzzi which is nice...

overall good for once

Hotel 1929 Overview

Located in the colorful area of Keong Siak Street and on the fringe of Chinatown, the buildings consist of pre-war shop houses (named after its build date, 1929) which is the alternative to the unbiquitious glass and concrete modern hotels. A short walk to the famous Smith street and Pagoda Street where one could get many choices of local delights in the evenings.

Can be arguably described as a designer boutique hotel, despite it size, the hotel has a deck with jacuzzi in the back. This little hip hotel is setting the standards in a very contrastingly old neighbourhood. Couple and gay friendly, it is also for young and trendy at a very reasonable price. Highly recommended.

sg 12/10.

The hotel retains the original exterior of the original 4 storey walk up shop house cum residence. It is under conservation from a past era in Singapore that is becoming all too rare these days. Painted white it does not hint of the modern interior.

The hotel has managed to marry the old with the new. The rooms are definitely modern with white walls, flat panel TV, Philips ipod docking station and white bedding. The furnishings are a cut above hotels of similar standards. The chair is a refurbish European designer original from the owners collection. Bathrooms are an all glass affair with no screens. The rooms are furnished in either single or double only bed configuration (no twins) so it's couple friendly. The room is small so need to raise up the bed to create space for luggage. For the bold, the rooftop penthouse suite offers an outdoor bathtub for al fresco baths.

The lobby is small, there is a little seating area and looks more like a upmarket furniture shop with classic pieces of European designer chairs (as in the rooms) and designer lighting. To the left is the restaurant Ember. The liberal use of glass and mirrors has maximised the small space. A single lift services the 4 floors.

The restaurant Ember, in keeping with the mod look of the hotel exudes quality and style in both the food (European with Asian touches) and style. It is fine dining experience but without the pain on the wallet.

10 minute walk to the nearest metro station (outram), 2 kms to city centre, 25 kms to the nearest airport (changi), 4 km to the nearest fair site (suntec convention centre), 4 km to the nearest station (tanjong pagar), 5 minute walk to the nearest bus stop, 8 km to the nearest beach.

Hotel 1929 Amenities

• Garden
  • Desk
  • Direct dial phone
  • Jacuzzi
  • Internet Connection (wireless)
  • Bathrobes