Cairns, Australia
HotAir - Preparing for take off.
HotAir - Up, up and away.
HotAir - View from the balloon.
HotAir - Another view from the balloon.
HotAir - Looking down from the balloon.

HotAir Cairns Reviews

armchairathlete armchair…
Ballooning with Hot Air May 01, 2009
I was picked up at the required 4.00 am and whisked away to the take off point in a minibus. The driver gave us all a briefing of what we would be doing, then left us alone to nod off on the 50 min journey to the take off point.

I'd opted for the 30 min flight rather than the 60, so this meant I was able to watch the sun rise and the balloons inflate prior to take off and snap a few pics. I was glad of the sun rise, because although 4.00 am in Port Douglas was pleasantly warm, 5.00 am in the Atherton Tablelands, 3000m higher up, was chilly. So, take a jumper and track suit bottoms for the 1st part of the trip!

Once the balloons had taken off, we were back in the minibus to chase it to its landing site to join the '60 minuters'.

Our pilot was very informative about the balloon and pointed out various sights and wildlife. It was wonderfully serene and although you could see the ground moving below, it seemed like we were just hanging there.

The landing was quite exciting as we dragged a little and got a jaunty angle to the basket before it righted itself. Nothing dangerous, but those who expect a gentle touchdown might need to know this.

After the trip it was off to a barn somewhere for a celebratory glass of champagne and a hearty breakfast before the trip home.

For me, an enjoyable trip.
Preparing for take off.
Up, up and away.
View from the balloon.
Another view from the balloon.
darkarrow darkarrow
Jan 08, 2008
This was the operator for my adventure tour. They picked me up early in the morning and brought me out to a field where people were filling up the balloons for take off. It took a while and a bunch of us were just standing in lines waiting without much instructions other than stand and wait. When the balloons were finally ready to go we got into the baskets and we took off. We flew over the Athenian Tableland. It was kind of nice but it wasn't that special. It was just kind of peaceful being up in the air. The balloon flyer (if that is the correct name) didn't really talk that much or give that much information just kind of let us look around. The ride seemed to go really quickly before we were descending again. I was glad that I got to go hot air ballooning once in my life but it wasn't really the highlight of the adventure package that day.
Looking down from the balloon.

Check Cairns Hotel Deals