Hostel Rio

Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Hostel Rio - The view from the roof and right outside of our room!
Hostel Rio - The pool/bar area from above.
Hostel Rio - Our room
Hostel Rio - Bar Geisha and mini pool

Check Playa del Carmen Hotel Deals

Hostel Rio Playa del Carmen Reviews

CarpeDiemSW CarpeDie…
Location, location, location... Jan 11, 2011
How do I explain Hostel Rio? The location honestly can't be beat. It's literally two blocks from the beach and a stones throw from Fifth Avenue: THE place to eat, drink, and shop in Playa.

We chose to stay in a 6 person room as opposed to something bigger because we had read reviews that had mentioned cleanliness issues. While I found everything clean enough to be comfortable, I was very happy we chose the smaller room because we did have people coming back into the room as late (or early) as 5 am from a night of partying.

Our room was clean and comfy, albeit a bit small. We were on the top floor/roof so our shower and bathroom were in little rooms outside on the roof as well. The sink was outside too, which I thought was quite cool. There's a small pool on the level below the roof, as well as an outside bar. Word on the street is that there was a 'ladies night' from 10 pm till 11 pm every night where drinks are free for the girls, but sadly I never got to test this out. There's a common room with two computers and free internet, and a kitchen (which I never went into because I was too busy stuffing my face every time I stepped outside.)

On the third day we were there a rainstorm flooded the floor of our room. My friend and I just piled our stuff on our beds and went out for the day, unworried. When we came back everything was rearranged and dry again, and our beds were even made with new sheets. I guess the top rooms are brand new and they hadn't had any rain yet so they didn't know what would happen, but the staff handled the situation beautifully.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay at the Hostel Rio again, even if only for the location. My advice is this: unless you are a night owl, and very heavy sleeper, or like to party - PACK EARPLUGS! I used a white noise app. on my iphone that worked beautifully. Also, choose when you take your showers wisely. There, wonderfully enough, is hot water but it does run out. I took navy showers during the quiet hours and never had a problem. Also, if you use the top shower like I did, don't bring you clothes or towel in with you, leave them outside or everything will get soaked. Lastly - have fun, because fun is what this hostel is all about!
The view from the roof and right o…
The pool/bar area from above.
Our room
mdalseg mdalseg
Great Hostel in great location Oct 08, 2010
This is a great little hostel two blocks from the beach and about twenty steps from the main walking avenue, with a rooftop bar and mini pool. There is an equiped kitchen for making your own meals and free internet usage. The staff is great and very accomodating. Stayed here a handful of times and will keep going back each and everytime in Playa del Carmen.
Bar Geisha and mini pool