Hostel Los Amigos

Check Flores Hotel Deals

Hostel Los Amigos Flores Reviews

andrejav andrejav
Los Amigos Jan 01, 2012
Flores is an old city on the island surrounded by the Peten Itza lake and connected to the city of Santa Elena. It is located on the crossroads and from there people usually go to explore Mayan ruins of Tikal, El Mirador or any other of more than dozen old ruins in the area. Larger buses usually drop people on the island, but the main terminal is around 10 blocks from the island. There are lots of moto taxi’s that will take you anywhere in the town for 20 Q, but if you are not carrying anything it is fine to walk over Santa Elena’s market and surrounding area.

Island is a small hill that is completely covered with buildings, and it has old narrow stone roads that are zigzagging trough the town. On the top of the hill is a church and small park around which there are few eateries that sell cheep and good tacos, burritos and mostly Mexican style food.

Hostel Amigos is the first hostel in town and it is pretty big, having two large dorms on both side of the main hallway and multiple private rooms. There is also an option of sleeping in hammocks, but that area was overrun by people chilling and sitting on few tables, so it looks like no one is sleeping there. When I came, lady on the reception did not even offer me that option. Nice lust garden covers central area, and they also have a parrot that lives in the three tops. Aside of parrot, few dogs make this hostel very homey and you will have to share couches with them. Nice restaurant makes tasty food that is around 7-8$ per plate and they have full bar where they make weird cocktails. I was never fond of Guatemalan Gallo beer, and unfortunately that is all they have (aside of another one even lighter and more horrible than Gallo). In Guatemala you can also find Moza beer that is pretty tasty dark beer full of flavor.

My dorm was on the left side and it had sturdy beds, large lockers and enough space for people to rest. Room was a bit humid, but thinking of that, we are in the jungle… so what else you can expect… Bathroom and showers have nice character, but there is only cold water available.

Hostel has the agency that can organize any kind of tour or bus transport in surrounding area. I found them 30-40% more expensive than if you go directly to the bus station, but that is truth only for longer bus distances. I took the trip with them to Tikal, but I did not go for full guide tour. I enjoyed that trip and I am recommending Tikal as a “must go” destination for Mayan ruins. Generally hostel staff is very helpful and will tell you the best options for continuation of your trip.

Flores is a good place to relax and just enjoy in simplicity and regular Guatemalan life. City is not dangerous and there is minimum of annoyance to the travelers and tourist that come in the area.
ckubojiri ckubojiri
Unhelpful staff Apr 14, 2011
Only stayed here for one night, but encountered unhelpful staff and rude service (with the exception of the guy with longer hair and blue eyes). I was with two of my gf's and they also had similar perception.

There were a lot of travelers staying here and it was easy to meet good people.

Probably wouldn't stay here again. I liked Hotel Dona Goya, which was closer to the pier where we'd watch the sunset, swim in the warm lake, drinking cervezas. =)
winstonicus winstoni…
best hostel on my trip Apr 10, 2011
Great Hostel,

stayed there fore a week, because i did the 5 day jungle hike 2 el Mirador(organized by the hostel)

there were a lot of travellers in the hostel, made some good friends from all over the world.

great food and great staff.

I will come back that's for sure
osnuja osnuja
Oct 31, 2010
Very nice and clean place with lots of backpackers.
Johnb42 Johnb42
Hostel Los Amigos Sep 08, 2009
I found Los Amigos a well run hostel which caters in every aspect for backpackers. They have a variety of rooms from hammocks and couches to bunk bed rooms with a double bed and private rooms. The accommodation was clean, including the bathrooms (however the shower was cold), bedrooms were nicely decorated which makes a change from the usual blandness you see at hostels, and the general vibe of the place was exotic, relaxed and it was obvious you could see that they had everything well thought out.

For example, lockers for baggage when you check out for the day but you're hanging around for a while, including locks to go with them, books for book exchange, internet (not free and apparently a bit slow), tours and travel arrangements local and international, and finally their Vegetarian Restaurant with a range of interesting cocktails.

It was a sociable place where I met quite a few friendly travellers and would definitely consider returning.

Just a note that they have at least 2 dogs, a parrot and a cat all of whom are stranger friendly (one of the dogs would just sprawl himself infront of the reception/kitchen desk interrupting the line).

Few small problems was that the kitchen was fairly close to some of the rooms so could have been a bit disruptive. Most of the staff (while I was there) did not speak English that well.. especially those that was working at the reception desk. Although I could converse in a bit of spanish I can see how this could be a problem as the majority of travellers are english spoken. There is also this strange security system which involves pulling a string before you open the door, and also having to ring to get back in which isn't always heard.

Generally speaking I would definitely recommend this place as a stopover for backpackers visiting Flores and Tikal!

Liked — Interior Decor, Wealth of information regards to travel and tour plans, luggage compartments, free locks, range in non alcoholic cocktails, social vibe

I recommend this hotel for Young singles, Girlfriend getaway, Older travelers, Pet owners, Families with teenagers, Tourists

I do not recommend this hotel for A romantic getaway, People with disabilities, Great pool scene, Families with young children
Hostel Los Amigos

Related Travel Blogs About Hostel Los Amigos

Belize City, again..
Just on our way out of Belize city now. We headed back on the water taxi this morning. We were thinking about taking a day trip on a boat up to the reef, but decided against it in the end as we've go…Los Amigos hostel in Flores ( ) , but it doesn't take advance bookings, so I guess we'll just have…
Day 23. Flores
It was a long journey. I left Yaajehe at 8-9 am and arrived around 3 pm to Flores. To cross a boarder I needed to take a bus, a boat and a bus. The last bus was a local bus and was stopping everywher…Flores nie zdazylam nigdzie wyjsc, bo zaraz po wykupieniu miejsca w schronisku zaczelo padac, i przestalo po zmroku. Jutro jade zobaczyc Tikal, bardzo rano, autobus wyjezdza o 4.30 rano. Cale…
Day 15: Tikal - Flores
We woke up early to get to the Guatemalan frontier. We get there with a taxi, we changed our money and cross the border. There we find a bus that goes to Santa Elena which is the big town near Flores…Flores to the hostel Los Amigos. After that we ate and took the bus to Tikal. We visited Tikal in 2 hours…

Check Flores Hotel Deals