Hostel Estoril

Hostel Estoril Rates and Deals

Hostel Estoril Buenos Aires Reviews

HuBison HuBison
Cool location, breakfast included, lots of info, but busy place May 13, 2012
I stayed here April 2012 as part of a multi-country trip I was taking with a friend of mine. There were some good recommendations on this hostel so my friend and I stayed here.

It is located right next to the La Continental Pizzeria. Hostel Estoril actually has the 1st and 6th floors in a building and another hostel has some of the other floors while there are private residences on two floors of the building. As a Hostel Estoril resident, you have access to the 6th floor and the excellent roof top with a bar and outdoor seating.

We arrived late at night and were greeted by Paolo. He gave us the speech about the included amenities and showed us to the our room. My friend and I rented a double with a shared bathroom. There were two twin beds in the room with a high ceiling, a ceiling fan (and a heater and an a/c we didn't need to use). The key was very old fashion and during our 4 days there, the handle to the room fell off the door twice. There was a large closet in the room, a small TV , a lamp and a coffee table.

The 1st floor has a kitchen where breakfast is served from 8am-11am. I have never eaten so many media lunas (small croissant pastries covered with a light sweet topping). They also have tea, coffee, marmalades, oranges (as well as s strainer to make fresh juice), and eggs to fry or scramble (although the pan has no handle). The kitchen looks out into the courtyard where folks can smoke or hang out. There is a common room with a TV, some DVDs and 2 computers. There are also private lockers available in the common room, but you have to have your own pad lock. At night, the common room is also where the night staff lie out in the couch (otherwise, it is considered a place where there is a staff member at the desk 24 ours a day to answer your questions, help you plan your day, help you find different events in the city, navigate the subte [train] or buses as well as lots of different information).

The roof top is great. There is a small bar and you are not allowed to bring outside alcohol upstairs, but you can eat on the lower deck, go up to the upper deck, or eat under the veranda on the roof. April evenings are great with a light sweater and there are a few stars seen though there are city lights all around.

Th Saenz Pena subte (subway) station is a block away and is on line A. You can also walk to the 9 de Julio stop for access to the B line. There are many buses that stop nearby and taxi should be a last resort to anywhere you want to go in the city. There is a separate review on here about taking taxis in BA as well as receiving false money---check it out!

The hostel has a GREAT location in the middle of the city with a pizzeria right next door that I visited too frequently. There is transportation nearby as well as a supermarket, a place to buy calling cards and is walkable to several sites as well as a free BA Walking tour starting point (although the hostel has their own tour).

Crowd in the hostel was OK (except someone took my phone card I left on the common room table). The staff are variable. My favorite was Owen-SUPER helpful, great guy and just awesome overall. Paulo was generally helpful, but on several occasions, he would give us info that was wrong (ie: the price for things). Alejandro was OK, but with the language barrier and his English not being so good, we didn't always get the info we needed. He was sweet and tried not to be wrong about info he gave us and tried to make up for things he didn't get right the first time. There was a girl there, but I didn't get her name.

Great location and I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay here. It's on a popular street so you should feel safe walking in and out. Each floor is secured and you have to be buzzed in or the door has to be unlocked for the residents. We stayed in room 104 in the back so it was pretty quiet, but am not sure how well the people in the front slept.
A double bed private room
A dresser, small table with TV and…
Basic bed but comfy
Ceiling fan to keep you cool
kiwiegyptian kiwiegyp…
Excellent place to stay! Mar 16, 2011
I came to Buenos Aires for 10 days and decided to stay at this place for just 3 nights and move onto somewhere else so I can try a couple of other places. I just loved this place so much I didn't want to leave.

The rooms are comfy and spacious. They are cleaned every single day and the cleaners are trust worthy!

The staff are super friendly and super helpful. The night staff member was so lovely I stayed up all night talking to him and they give you a lot of tips and helpful advice.

The hostel itself is fun, you can hang out in the lounge in your jammies watch tv, read a book and it feels homey or go upstairs to the terrace for a drink and surely you will find other travellers who are keen to go out and do something. Met some great people staying there!

I cannot recommend this place enough, in fact I am going back this year and already booked my accomodation there!
HuBison says:
Based on your review (in addition to others), I will be staying here on my trip to BA next week. Thanks!
kiwiegyptian says:
No worries! I am actually staying there right now and love it! :)
Posted on: Mar 25, 2011
Eric says:
Thanks for sharing!
Posted on: Mar 25, 2011
levol levol
nice located hostel in the center of buenos aires Mar 25, 2011
Hostel is located in the center of Buenos Aires very close to a Metro station. There are rooms on different floors of the building and even on the roof terasse is a dorm! The roof terrasse with a bar offers an amazing view!
jl_ghs316 jl_ghs316
Very friendly staff! Nov 19, 2009
My dad and I stayed here on a weekend trip to Buenos Aires. This was the first time we had been, so we chose here for the central location and the closeness to the metro lines. We were very pleased with the hostel. The staff was super nice, the breakfast, although basic, was welcome. The room we were in was big enough for the six people in it without being overly crowded as far as hostels go. We did not make it up to the bar upstairs, but from what I heard, it sounded like a good time. The hostel was in easy walking distance of many of the city’s sites and neighborhoods, which was great.

The guy working the desk gave us many hints and tips, and being the first time we were in BA, that was very welcome. He even saved us some money by suggesting we take a taxi to the airport for the fixed rate of 70 pesos, which was cheaper than if we both bought tickets on the airport bus!
The kitchen
The tv/computer room
HuBison says:
I appreciate your review. This place was recommended and so far, the info I have found looks promising...I just have to convince everyone else in my group. When some of them here "hostel", they get nervous. How was the cost of the room?
Posted on: Feb 03, 2011
Great Hostel in the city center Oct 23, 2008
The hostel is three hostels in 1 building. You can go from 1 floor to another floor very freely.

The top floor--is where the bar is and sometimes tends to be a little loud.

The 1st floor--quite, very clean rooms. I stayed a few days in a mixed dorm and I loved it. People were respectful of people´s personnel property.

There is plenty of hot water to wash no matter what time you descide to shower.

Two free wireless PC`s provide internet access. I only wish that they had flash installed on the PC´s. It would make uploading files to myspace, etc alot easier. Sometimes when you put in your USB drive, the PC will not allow you to use it since you are not an administrator. You can lock a PC down, and you can lock a PC down. It makes for less work for the staff, if they know people are not loading their own software on the PC.

Breakfast is meant to be served at 8 AM, but sometimes by 7 AM, breakfast is out there for people who are taking the early ferry or bus.

They do not take credit cards, so bring cash.

The hotel is in the heart of BA. Within 5 minutes walk, you can be at the Congress, or 10 minutes you are at the Presidents House. Internet and food places are on either side of you.

What makes the place though is the staff. They are more than willing to help you with your questions. They even give you a map and will point out where most of the attractions are in relation to the hostel.

The only bad thing--is the location--during the day it is fine. During the night--you are going to have to take a taxi. But most taxi rides will not you more than 20 pesos. The staff has been more than happy to call taxis for people who need it.

It is not a party hostel, if you are independant traveller than you are fine. If you are single and want more of a nightlife--you might want to go somewhere else. It all depends on your age and what you are looking for. They do plan a Thursday night BBQ.

The staff could put together a list of events, etc that is happening in the city which would help guests get together and socailize. I seen events in Av. July 9th, that I did not know where happening from staff.
HuBison says:
Based on your review (in addition to others), I will be staying here on my trip to BA next week. Hooray-we will be there on a Thursday and hope we catch the BBQ. Thanks!
HuBison says:
Thanks for the review. This place is looking more and more promising. How much did you pay for your room? I hear the noise from the street can be kind of annoying early in the morning (I don't really see myself sleeping in late when abroad). Was your room in the front or the back and on what floor?
Posted on: Feb 03, 2011
jl_ghs316 says:
Very nice reveiw! I didn't have a problem walking around at night here though. Maybe I am just not smart, but it worked ok for me :)
Posted on: Nov 19, 2009