Hostel Celica

Hostel Celica Rates and Deals

Hostel Celica Ljubljana Reviews

WalterC WalterC
Spend a night in prison Nov 24, 2011
Very close to the train and bus stations, the Celica Hostel is a nice place, and a good base to take day trips from Ljubljana. It’s about a 5 minute walk, and there are signs pointing the way.

Finding the actual building can be a little tricky, as it is a little further down a driveway. Located across from a medical center. If you see an outside sign for the Ethnology Museum and see a church, you went too far.

Once inside, you are in for an interesting experience, as you just entered a former prison. Depending on the type of room, you may have some issues along the way. I ended up staying in 2 different room types, due to one of them being not available for one of the nights. Each room was a former prison cell, with a gate and a door. And next to each room, are the names of prisoners that have stayed there.

One room type has 3 beds, with one of them at the very top. And it’s only accessible by ladders, starting directly at the end of the other 2 beds. Hard to describe in words, but basically, it could mean going on the other beds to go up or down the ladder. And with all the closets at the bottom, it can be a pain to get to it, and very cramped. Good luck if you end up with the top bed.

Another room type has 2 beds, and stairs to get to both. A lot better than the one with 3 beds, but the steps are not even in length, so when getting out of bed in the dark, you could stumble.

There is breakfast, which is very nice for a hostel. One morning, there was scrambled eggs, which I never would expect. You have to pay at check-in time, and get a card to be allowed to eat it. Also, you are given 30 minutes of free internet, also at check-in time.

The bathrooms are very nice, but sometimes you have to be careful to enter the correct one, as the genders are marked by color and symbol only. There is a kitchen, but no microwave, at the top floor. And for laundry, you can buy a token from reception desk, which included a cup of liquid detergent.

The staff are very nice, and very helpful for any questions you have about Ljubljana or Bled.

It’s a nice place to stay, and I would recommend this place, as it’s pretty much what a hostel should be. Then again, you may feel differently if you end up with the top bed in the 3 bed dorm room.
Celica Hostel
names of prisoners on the wall
top bed in the 3-bed room
room with 3 beds
monkeymia79 says:
Agree Vikram.
Vikram says:
Sounds unique alright, but also a bit claustrophobic!
WalterC says:
Yeah, I had to stay at this place, after reading about it. Could not pass the chance.
MrD3071 MrD3071
Fortification?! Jan 17, 2011
Ahhh Hostel Celica, the final stay of my 2009 Eurotrip. If first impressions are everything, then this will certainly... raise some eyebrows.

Hostel Celia is located in a relatively good location, just a few minutes walk from the major rodes, cafes, shops and a near-by fort. For those of you who dont know, or failed to read some of the smaller details (like myself), Hostel Celica is a former prison, apprently quite a famous one at that. The exterior truely shows this, high rised walls complete with barbed wire, windows barred with metal cagees and a small 'yard' which now serves as an open air dining area. It amused me how each floor was also barred off from the next with metal gates.

This might shed quite a dull light on the hostel, which I found to be average at best. However there are plenty of positivies, the food served is of a good quality, and served in large portions, best of all its very cheap by European price standards. I stayed in a dorm of 16, which was located on the very top floor. The price as expected for this dorm was very cheap, infact two nights here would have cost me less then the price of one night anywhere else on my trip! The thing that stuck me the most was the arty interior, it was like a mini arts centre, which was nice because it gave the interior a much needed 'passion punch' as a fellow traveler put it.

My dorm was bed to bed, with no less then half a meter between then. By bed to bed I mean matress to matress, on the floor. The ceiling was low, so for the most part I struggled to stand at full height (and I'm by no means tall). We had two bathrooms to share, as well as there being an extra set of public bathrooms/shower rooms at the end of our hall, these were all clean, but otherwise very standard quality. The smaller dorms offer fully structured beds, some single, some double. The one main issue that I noticed with the rooms were the lack of lockers or space to valubables. There were lockers, but they were very small, and some were missing keys in my dorm, so not all of us had locker space at the time, I'm sure this will have been rectified by now however. One final winner is the entertainment provided, on the one night that I was there we had a live local folk bank, which was brilliant, I really enjoyed a few cheap beers with some local music!

There is limited internet useage in the lobby, and it has to be said, for the 'wanting' services the staff were very friendly and happy to help. Not a bad place to stay if you are on a budget, and want to be close to the action.
psegui psegui
Celica Hostel-The greatest backpacker hostel in Slovenia May 18, 2011

My experience in Slovenia has been very great. We arrived the 10Th of July and we check in in Celica Hostel. We had to wait a bit, but I have to say that the staying was very useful. While we was waiting we visited Metelkova, that is an alternative neighborhood near the hostel.

We slept until afternoon because we spent 11 hours in the train. At night we went out in Metelkova and I have to say that it was a very different experience, I never went out on a similar place.

Next day we rent some bikes in the same hostel and we travelled around all Ljubljana . I have travelled around the world and I have seen a lot of different sights and cities, but I have to say that this city is the most I liked. It was so relaxed, the atmosphere was... I can´t explain. I recommend every body to visit Slovenia, because it also has a lot of wild life and a lot of forests. You will never forget it!
nimbalist nimbalist
The place to stay in Ljubljana May 13, 2011
This is a memorable place. For one thing, your room consists of a former prison cell used to house political prisoners during the communist regime in Slovenia. Some of the rooms even have the names of the political prisoners. Then it looks like a hippy coop took over and liberated the prisoners and turned them into interior decorators. Which makes it a relaxing vibe that detracts from the past harshness of the place. The main living area is a nice place to sit and relax, and the food is actually quite good. . . a testament that nothing once served in a gulag in Siberia will be served at Hostel Celica. So check it out. Not great, but very good.
nic1927 nic1927
A superb Slovenian stay May 07, 2011
A gem of a hostel! Previously a prison, the hostel now provides clean, safe accommodation close to the centre of Ljubljana. Great atmosphere - particularly the live music nights, where you really feel part of the community.
dharpley dharpley
Arty farty! Feb 27, 2010
This hostel was an old prison. They have have different sculptures in each of the private rooms. There are two doors to the rooms, one is a barred door. There is a notice in the room asking you to leave the barred door locked but the outside one open as they do guided tours of the artwork in the rooms. You can leave the outside door unlocked if you feel comfortable but it's not compulsory.

The staff are helpful, we arrived at 2am and the night staff were still up and happy. I think they are used to that as there is always a train coming at this time from Budapest heading to Venice! And we caught the same train to leave and they allowed us to hang out in the front of the hostel till the very late train to Venice.

They organise tours, car hire and other various activities to do in Ljubljana and surrounding areas.

Our room was very comfortable it was a bit awkward to climb up the bunk bed as they had clear plastic covering the usual way you could climb up. So you had to climb up and over the edge. I'm not bothered by that but I can imagine some people could have some trouble

The kitchen was really good and is on the second floor. It had a nice cook-top and plenty of utensils.

Downstairs they had bar and kitchen. I never bought anything from there though but the prices seemed reasonable! The buffet breakfasts was one of the best we had in our travels around Europe!
The floor in our private room!
Outside of the hostel. The little …
softybabe softybabe
Excellent value and location! May 12, 2010
My mate and I stayed in this hostel in Llubjana. We thoroughly enjoyed it and loved our trip to Slovenia.

It was a prison for deserters (we were told). We definately didnt feel like deserters.
the hallway
our cell...err :)
FadedGray FadedGray
Oct 10, 2009
This colorful hostel, a former Prison, is a simple and clean choice for travelers. It is also budget friendly, though I opted to stay here because of its unique character and previous identity.

Hostel Celica's rooms are all different, though each has a jail cell door in addition to a solid door as you enter. Keep in mind that you will share a bathroom (on each floor). Also included is breakfast, internet access, games and parking. You may walk throughout Ljubljana from Hostel Celica.
ejstravels ejstrave…
Hostel Celica Apr 19, 2009
Really unique and beautiful place to stay with friendly staff and good breakfast included! I would definitely go again!
asturjimmy asturjim…
Celica Hostel Jul 13, 2008
One of the best hostels i had ever seen,is an old prision,internet is free,there is a cool bar restaurant.the ambient and decoration is chill,the rooms are cells,I have a Slovenian friend and she told me to see this hostel,my brother also was here when he came to Slovenia,is close to the town center
findmeabeach findmeab…
Aug 08, 2005
If you have done any reviewing of places to stay in Slovenia and especially Ljubljana you can't have failed to read about Hostel Celica. It has featured in Lonely Planet and many other guidebooks and paper/magazine reviews. It really is a very nice place, and the uniqueness of the rooms is the special feature but the bar/cafe is well run and it has lots of nice small touches plus a good location also.

Hostel Celica Amenities