Hostel Casa del Parque

Hostel Casa del Parque Rates and Deals

Hostel Casa del Parque San Jose Reviews

andrejav andrejav
Real Casa del Parque Apr 11, 2011
Pictures that someone placed in the profile of this hostel are not how that place looks like. Check my pictures to see how this hostel really looks in April 2011.

Villas always stay villas, if someone keeps them that way…

Facing a nice and sizable park in the front of national assembly, this hostel used to be really nice place to live in. Outside that charm is barely visible due to solid iron metal fence and sporadic barb wire security detail.

To get in the hostel you have to go to the entrance gate and ring on the button that is on the left side of the door. They have video surveillance, and someone will open the door for you shortly. As soon as you pass house door, you see that it is a bit different from other hostels. Beautiful bouquet with fresh flowers in 50’s setting classic doorway looks like you are entering the house with 4 butlers and who knows what else… Living room got me a bit confused if I am going to someone’s house or a hostel; just tastefully made and arranged furniture, more flowers, art books on the table…

Bottom floor are private rooms, that look great, with lots of space all around, and whole second floor is one nice dorm. Beds are not doubles, so there is no much disturbance (if some girl does not snore)and there is lots of space and lockers all around. Only one bathroom on the second floor is a bit little for all the people that stay there, but there is also bathroom on the first floor. Kitchen is old school with table in the middle, perfect place for hanging around and chatting with people. Next to the kitchen there is TV room with nice couches to lay around.

Lockers in the dorm are metal and new, all works like charm, beds are made in the morning by the maid. There is enough power outlets in the room, but wireless is not that great. For good wifi you have to go downstairs to the leather couch , tough life, I know. On the back of the house there is garden with some tables and chairs, and all in concrete… at least it is outside . Bathroom has hot shower on the top of the pipe. I mean, there is thing that heats the water going through the pipe to you, as a shower head. Just follow instructions that are printed on the door, and you’ll have hot water. People that run the place are very nice and interesting people, and you will get great info if you ask them for any tips. San Juan map that you’ll get there is perfectly good for quick and good tour of the city.

Casinos are legal and there is bunch of them around the center of the town. Center is not big, and all museums and interesting places are close. I got mad for museums charging foreigners 6 times more than nationals, and I ask the manager why he does not want me the go and see art of his country… If you are charging me 6 times more, that must mean that you don’t want me there? Right? He did not have answer for that.

Anyway, great place warmly recommended, check the pictures that I am posting…
One of the rooms, semi-private
Lobby is super nice
Nice staircase
SirRosco SirRosco
Best option for San José Jul 21, 2010
I spent my whole time in Costa Rica in that hostel. Basically the central location was the main reason why I've chosen it.

Before I arrived I ordered a shuttle service and Casa del Parque staff organized one for me because I did not want to use a taxi at night to get from the airport to the hostel. The rate was 25$ if I'm right. So it was fair.

I had to ring the bell to get the door opened by a staff member.

I spent my nights in the 10 bed dorm and I was able to choose one of the remaining non-occupied beds where people were already sleeping. Luckily I took a nice one because in the morning I noticed that there was some sort of old closet behind my bed where I was able to stow away my backpack. The beds where super-comfortable and also the bathroom was looking okay.

Most of my roommates did not have a closet so they had to live out of their backpack or just stowing away their stuff under their beds which was not a big deal for all of us.

The atmosphere inside the dorm and the hostel in general was always nice, funny and communicative.

There is NO breakfast provided but there is a kitchen which is also some sort of meeting point for all the guests - also because the Wifi provides the best signal there if one does not use the public computer.

The location of the hostel is also very good because it's less than 2min away from the downtown area next to the National Theatre and the main shopping strip. Also a big supermarket is just two streets away.

In 2011 the hostel was re-designed and also provides private rooms now beside the 10 bed dorm.

Federico, the owner is 100% reliable and superfriendly. Everyday he was with us in the kitchen and joking or telling stories from his life. However my visit was in 2010, I am still in contact with him through Facebook. He also decided to go surfing with some Australians for a day and a friend one of him took the lead for the hostel.

Both of them speak excellent English and naturally yes... Spanish :D

I will come back there once again some time soon. The atmosphere was simply too nice, familiar and funny that I'm already looking forward to it.
Hostel Casa del Parque 10 bed dorm