Hostel California

Check Los Angeles Hotel Deals

Hostel California Los Angeles Reviews

vbhstinks vbhstinks
horrible, but not the worst Jan 03, 2010
I can only say 2 positive things about this place- the huge lockers where you can store even 2 or 3 large suit cases or bags, and the location on Lincoln Blvd, where there's shops for everything you need.

after these 2 positive things, all I have is everything bad. The rooms are cold; the beds are really horrible for your back, and I think has some insects, cuz I felt some itchiness, though it didn't seem like bed bugs; the shower rooms are so gross, with very bad design; everything seems dirty; the tables are often sticky; we cannot do laundry until after 2:30pm till 10:00pm; and the worst part are the staffs, I think. These bunch of staffs look like they came from the Adam's Family or something. There were some creepy characters there, though at least a couple of them were approachable. It's a hostel that has some potential if the manager cared to liven things up a bit, by painting the walls, and sort of investing on some stuff. I think one staff stole my food.
tridantri tridantri
Hostel California Sep 29, 2009
This hostel is located just inland of Venice beach, which takes about 20 minutes to walk to. You can either walk straight down the main road to the beach or, for a more pleasant walk you can meander through some of the pretty streets to get there. It is in the Venice area than many famous film stars live and, if you are interested in that kind of thing, you can walk past their house.

The hostel itself is nice enough, especially for the price. It is kept clean and the staff are very helpful. The dorm room sleeps about 20 people so if you are a light sleeper then I would suggest you invest in some ear plugs. You can also pay for a single room.

There is a lounge with a TV and pool table so this is a great place to relax and meet other people.

Within walking distance are a number of take-away shops, a supermarket and restaurants. If you walk along the beach you will find it is lined with small shops and stalls, and places to get cheap fast food from. There are also loads of entertainers and a skate park on the beach, which is well worth a few minutes of your time.
portia portia
Jun 15, 2007
on http://www.hostelsweb.com/cities/losangeles.html you can find several hostels in the Hollywood area:

USA Hostels Hollywood,

Orange Drive Manor Hostel,

Hollywood International Hostel,

I do not know anything about these places, other than their locations are in the middle of where your Hollywood expectations probably are: Hollywood Blvd between Highland and Vine. Hollywood can be shady after dark, so if you stay in Hollywood, do be careful of your surroundings, and look for security features in the hostels.

A "good" location can mean convenient, and these are certainly. It can also mean well-to-do, expensive, safe, boring, and Hollywood is not.

As for the beach side, Santa Monica, Venice are certainly good/desirable destinations, Venice perhaps more eccentric and bohemian, while Santa Monica is more upscale. There are several hostels in Venice beach listed in the above web site.

http://www.lahostels.org/ has hostels in Santa Monica. Personally I would prefer to stay in Santa Monica, and go to Hollywood for all the sight-seeing you want to do there but would not stay there. (however, I am not a backpacking young person, so take my view with your discretion) Santa Monica is just north of Venice, and the beaches there is a good starting point for more beaches north like Malibu and south like Manhattan Beach or Torrance.

An alternative to hostels is to try couchsurfing, a way to stay with a local person, it just sounds like a wonderful idea. Check out couchsurfing.com and Amanda's review about what it is http://www.travbuddy.com/Couchsurfing-v5754
cygnus16 says:
"Down and Out in Hollywood" lol
Posted on: Jun 16, 2007
ekthor says:
There's something about using the words "Hostel" and "Hollywood" in the same sentence that just blows my mind hehe
Posted on: Jun 15, 2007
jefrois jefrois
A Hostel with a parking lot in LA Aug 03, 2007
There are very few hostels in Los Angeles, even fewer that have their own parking lot. When in Los Angeles you pretty much need a car, so I chose this place in Venice that had their own lot. The problem is that when you get home late from a night out, the lot is full because there are more cars then spaces so you end up parking on the street anyway. The hostel itself is shabby, very basic place to sleep and that’s it, it has a tv room but most people spend their days nearby at Venice Beach… It isn’t great for socializing as most people didn’t stick around much and is quite small, I wouldn’t recommend it unless you need a place to park your car.

Related Travel Blogs About Hostel California

talking to the rock
the hostel offered a walking (!!!) tour around bel air and beverly hills - a must do, considering me wanting to leave los angeles on glamorous terms :) and as soon as you are in beverly hills you ste…the hostel offered a walking (!!!) tour around bel air and beverly hills - a must do, considering me wanting to leave…
Getty Museum Visit
Day 2 of 2. The hostel I am staying at has cancelled the trip around Los Angeles, and the weather is wet and overcast, so I opt for a trip to the Getty museum, and I would struggle to find anything m… Day 2 of 2. The hostel I am staying at has cancelled the trip around Los Angeles, and the weather…
Invisible stations
My hostel was in the Hollywood boulevard, and on this famouse road there are 3 metro stations:1. Hollywood/Western2. Hollywood/Vine3. Hollywood/HighlandWhen we were driving along the boulevard we wan… My hostel was in the Hollywood boulevard, and on this famouse road there are 3 metro stations: 1. Hollywood/Western 2…

Check Los Angeles Hotel Deals