Hostal Virrey

Check Huancavelica Hotel Deals

Hostal Virrey Huancavelica Reviews

Raches Raches
Like a gaol cell... May 31, 2006
Room: I`ve likened it to a gaol cell, but maybe I´m being too harsh. Bare, dirty walls painted blue. A bed, desk, chair and fluroescent light. No windows to the outside world. However, the bed had lots of blankets so it was quite warm, although something made me wake up in the middle of the night with an incredibly itchy back.

Staff: Generally friendly enough, not sure if they speak English. Nice enough to let me keep my bags in the deposit for several hours at no extra cost.

Bathrooms: Cleanliness of the girl´s toilet was good, but a pity that none of the toilets flush! I think they must have a quota of 1 flush per hour or something. Add no toilet seats, toilet paper and no running water from the tap, and you get minus points for the toilets. I´m only happy that I wasn´t sick while staying at this place! The showers do have hot water, but this needs to be turned on by the staff some 20 minutes before you want your shower. The guy went out of his way to test the water for me and told me when it was ready, but I got a shock because not only was the water not hot (not even lukewarm), I watched as the healthy stream of water became a trickle, and ended up having a cold half-shower. Very uncomfortable. Minus points for the shower too.

Atmosphere: Very close to zero. The hostel has 3 floors with rooms facing inwards to the stairs. It´s light enough, with an open part at the top. At night the staff watch TV on the typically crappy Peruvian sound system, so it sort of blares through the walls. In the morning I had an interesting encounter with the Peruvian police, who I think were checking the hostel for illegal migrants here to work. Or something. They wanted to see my passport and asked me what I was doing here. (I was thinking, trust me, I don´t want to be staying here any longer than you want me to!). They were satisfied with my answer, although rather surprised and almost suspicious that I was travelling alone. I guess it´s just not done that much around here.

I suppose for one night, it sufficed - I had a private place to myself, a comfortable enough bed and a place to go to the toilet, what more did I really need? Maybe I´m just too spoiled from those weeks at La Casa...

Check Huancavelica Hotel Deals