Hostal Santillan

Hostal Santillan Rates and Deals

Hostal Santillan Madrid Reviews

Eric Eric
Secure, quiet, hotel-like Aug 26, 2010
Hostal Santillan is a decent hostel on the 8th story of an old building in Madrid. It a few blocks away from the Metro stop at Plaza de Espana. The location seems more business/commercial than most places, but there are plenty of restaurants around to eat at, and relatively easy access to the metro.

The staff here is very friendly, and the hostel is family run. I had trouble getting my internet set up on my laptop, and the son lent me an ethernet cable to get it configured. The son speaks good english, but the parents only speak Spanish, so there may be a slight language difficulty if you don't speak Spanish.

We had a triple with a private bathroom ensuite. The bathroom was tiny but fine. The rooms are basic but clean. If you come here during summer (like we did), note that there is no AC. We came during a heat wave and it was slightly uncomfortable until late at night, when it cooled down a bit, but that was fine since we were mainly out of the rooms.

There are 3 keys to get into the hostel (front door, floor key, room key). Seemed fairly secure.

Definitely a quiet hostel, more like a hotel than anything. Wouldn't come here to meet new friends or party, but perfect if you're just on a budget trip with friends.
alicegourmet says:
The price is fair enough, since hotel rooms in Europe are quite expensive!
Posted on: Oct 13, 2010
pearcetoyou says:
Thanks. I guess I've been spoiled by those 8 dollar a night hostels in Asia, so 30 dollars a night sounds like a lot. But this is Europe, not Asia! ;)
Posted on: Sep 08, 2010
Eric says:
Francis -- oddly enough, I don't speak much Spanish. Unfortunately, I studied Latin in high school...doh! Both my friends speak a bit of Spanish though and worst case scenario I could use my limited Italian and most people would understand what I was trying to say ;)
Posted on: Sep 08, 2010