Hostal La Casona Potosi

Hostal La Casona Potosi Rates and Deals

Hostal La Casona Potosi Reviews

andrejav andrejav
Hostal La Casona Oct 09, 2016
Hostal La Casona is probably the largest hostel in Potosi. Renovated large house with a huge stone yard in the middle, and then there are more rooms and dorms when you pass under the tunnel to another area… House was definitely legacy from the very rich family that built it sometimes in 18th century, when Potosi was still one of the richest towns in the world. They literally had a hill full of silver just above the town…

Location is very good for anyone that likes to walk around old city center. It is, let’s say three blocks from the main square and the Casa de la Moneda, surrounded with old mentions and churches. The whole city is built on the side of the mountain, so be aware that you either walk down hill or up hill hehehe. Interesting central food market is also in close proximity, and you can also visit many museums and churches/galleries in the surrounding.

Hostel is right on the street. We came to the city by bus, and they dropped us at some square that was an old bus terminal but now there is a new and huge terminal a bit away from the center. Taxis are pretty cheap and relaxed. We got dropped at the hostel late in the afternoon and we were not sure that there is any opening. Luckily enough there was one private room, and we actually got the best room in the place. It was the room that was that main room in the old times. The one above the gate, with balcony doors, huge bathroom and loooots of space. Inside, we were greeted with nice decoration and some cool old roof beams. Internet is not that good in this room, so you’ll have to get down to reception or in the yard. There are many chairs and benches where you can sit and relax. Yard has long tables that are used for breakfast, but you can also get inside the first floor living room area if it is too cold. And it gets very cold in that yard, especially in the morning. Kitchen is open for you to do whatever you like, but all equipment is locked. You’ll have to ask one of the ladies that take care of hostel if you need pots, or plates, cups, silverware…

Our room had large bed which was very comfortable, and lots of blankets for cold nights. Room floors are in wood, but bathroom has tiles that are like refrigerator… Luckily the shower had unlimited amount of hot water… Our shower boot was leaking a bit, but that was not a problem, and the bathroom got dry every morning. Breakfast was just alright, some bread/butter and local jam, serials and some yogurt. Only thing I enjoyed in was some strong black coffee… You can easily find some good food in surrounding streets or market.

They have only few lockers in the hallway and that could be a bit of the issue. Security is pretty ok, and there is a night security personnel. All in all, it was a pleasant stay, so I can recommend it…
d2amy d2amy
May 16, 2010
What makes me give this hostel a 4 is because the rooms are toasty warm, and I love toasty warm rooms when it FREEZING outside. The beds aren´t all that comfortable but they´ll do for a nights or two sleep, it´s not like it´s impossible to sleep.

The breakfast was ok, you get juice which I find is a rare thing in hostel in Bolivia, so that was nice, even if it was only tang.

The staff aren´t all too friendly, and their english is very very limited.

To be honest I haven´t actually been out of the hostel yet to explore Potosi because I´ve been sick, but I hear the location is alright. It´s quite far away from the bus terminal, but so is everything else. Costs about 10Bs to get here from the Bus terminal.
d2amy d2amy
Cheap yet great May 16, 2010
Potosi being the highest city in the world, I was a little worried that I would be freezing my bum off at what ever hostal we ended up staying at. Lonely Planet decides to scare you and say that only a select few hostels have enough blanket for the harsh climate, but I was pleasently surprised at just how warm I was in the 8 bed dorm room. I only needed 1 blanket, and sometimes that was even too much.

Now there is absolutly no nice place to hang out and enjoy the hostal. Hard wired chairs are the norm and they are outside in what is supposed to be a court yard but is covered by only pieces of plastic to keep out the rain but not the cold.

The main reason other than the reliable heat in the rooms at night I would recommend this hostal is it had that best hot showers I think I have had on my trip of South America so far. So enjoyable.

You also get a nice breakfast. I would stay there again for sure. Not that Ill ever go back to Potosi though.

Hostal La Casona Potosi Overview

Hotel La Casona is nestled on the very colonial city centre of Potosi (100m from Main Plaza), a location, which is within walking distance to major attractions of Potosi (Bolivia), including The Mint, the Cathedral, Compania de Jesus, San Marcos, Jerusalen, on the way to Cerro Rico, and much more. Hotel La Casona Potosi lies 4,100 meters above sea level.

Hotel La Casona is where you can find the comfort that you've missed while traveling away from home, as well as enjoying a pleasant homely atmosphere. The hostel has an authentic touch of colonial architecture elements, is settled on a 18th century old spanish colonial house, giving it an unique and an unforgettable feeling. Each of the 25 comfortable and clean rooms are individually designed, with a variety of artistic details. Also, we invite to enjoy our new improvement, Central Heating in all rooms and common areas.

Hostal La Casona Amenities

• Bicycle Rental
  • Excursions
  • Garden
  • Facsimile
  • Internet Connection (wireless)
  • En suite