Hospicio Cabañas

Paseo Monosabios, Guadalajara, Mexico

Hospicio Cabañas Guadalajara Reviews

montecarlostar montecar…
Huge and wonderful Apr 10, 2011
Hospicio Cabañas is another of the Guadalajara landmarks I had yet to visit. They have a teacher/student discount, so I could get inside for just two bucks. They actually charge you extra if you want to take pictures, but I did pay it, because if it's not on TB it doesn't exist!!

First of all I have to say this building is HUGE. The place is now a World Heritage Site and was built by bishop Juan Cruz Ruiz de Cabañas y Crespo upon his arrival to Guadalajara. His intention was the building to work as hospital, workhouse, orphanage and almshouse, all in the same place. Construction started in 1805, but by 1810 it was filled with the troops, horses and weapons of the soldiers of the mexican war of independence. After the war, the institute resumed its charitable activities and took its current name "Hospicio Cabañas" in 1845 in honor to his founder. Again it was a part of the mexican revolution in 1910, and its charitable work ended in 1980, when it was restored as a cultural center and museum, opening its doors again in 1983. Muralist José Clemente Orozco painted the chapel and some of its doors. The most stunning of his murals is "Man in flames" at the dome of the chapel.

As I said, this building is giantnormous and has 23 patios, 106 rooms, 72 hallways and 2 chapels. You can easily get lost inside if you are not careful.

They usually have temporal exhibitions, and this time I could admire some of the past and ongoing construction projects of the Foster + Partners architecture firm. It was really a thrill! All of the works were amazing and some really out of this world.

After that, I enjoyed an abstract painting exhibition and later a tequila picture exhibition -no free tequila unfortunately :(

This place is an absolute must if you come to GDL.
The huge building of the Hospicio …
I wish I could be there in reality
Spaceport America! The first ever …
The famous "Man in flames" mural
montecarlostar says:
Oye siii que padre está el Hospicio Cabañas :O ya lo había visto por afuera varias veces pero no me imaginaba lo espectacular y bien conservado que está por dentro. Definitivo que vale la pena y en este caso la exhibición también estuvo muy padre :)
Posted on: Apr 10, 2011
monky says:
Muy bien Carlos hace mucho tiempo cuando aun estaba estudiando conocí el hospicio Cabañas wow! espectacular y ciertamente visita obligada para quienes visitan Guadalajara felicidades por tu reseña;-)
Posted on: Apr 10, 2011
Nair2011 Nair2011
Wow.. What a Structure.. Jul 08, 2011
Hospicio Cabañas is an architectural wonder.. This place is One of the Unesco listed sites too. Entrance fee in 7USd for a foreigner like me and 4 USD for a mexican citizen. We have to pay 3 USD more for pictures.

This complex has a chappel with Murals by José Clemente Orozco on dome, walls and doors. Camera is a must to take the some viewing experience with us. I have seen guides explaining all the murals in english and spanish. This place is visual retreat and learning experience for all the visitors

This complex also has some paintings in some rooms. This structure is huge and one of the must visit land marks in Guadalajara.

Thanks to one of the wonderful reviews of Carlos, our local expert TravBuddy, I have added to my list of must viait sites and I am giving back some memorable pictures herewith from this trip.
Fountain in front of Hospicio Caba…
Hospicio Cabañas
Sculptures before Hospicio Cabañas
Sculptures before Hospicio Cabañas
montecarlostar says:
Hey Gopi, I am glad my review was helpful! This place is absolutely wonderful and a must for anybody coming to town.
Posted on: Jul 09, 2011