Horseshoe Bend

Page, Arizona

Horseshoe Bend Page Reviews

cotton_foam cotton_f…
amazing site for free! Jan 19, 2013
TBer Yasuyo suggested we visit the Horshoe Bend while in Page AZ. I think I’ve seen a few of her photos when they visited the said place. When we were checking in to the hotel I saw a very stunning photograph of this extremely beautiful sight in one of the walls in the hotel lobby. We asked the receptionist where or how we could possibly go to that place (pointing onto the wall where the photograph was hanged). He gave us the direction.

Horseshoe Bend is located off of Highway 89 (Page AZ). About 2 miles outside of the town, 4 miles away from the Glen Canyon Dam, just south of the Walmart retail store.

While driving along Hwy 89 (West), you will see a small signage. Be watchful though because the hiking sign is small and easy to miss, but the parking lot is easy to see from the road. Make a right onto the signage and immediately you will see the small parking area. There is no parking fee. You just simply park and then hike west about ¾ miles on foot over loose sands. It’s an easy hike even a four year old child will enjoy the hiking. During winter, bubble jackets are enough to keep you warm and comfy while walking or hiking. In the summer time I heard that it can get very hot during mid-day so bring plenty of water. Sunscreen is also a must-bring. Anyway, whichever time of the year you are going always wear a good pair of hiking shoes.

Horseshoe Bend is free for everyone to visit. There is no entrance fee. It doesn’t cost anything. Okay, okay… enough of the redundancy! Sowee, this is a review under our lists of “freebies” anyway so I have to stress-out the word “free”!

The area is actually named after a horseshoe-shaped meander in the Colorado River and the cliff side is approximately 1000 feet high! Like I said, Horseshoe Bend is extremely beautiful for a trip that won’t cost you a penny (there I am again); it is more than worth the visit!

I will say if you have small children, please take extra precaution because there are no railings around the lookout area so watch out of for small children not to get closer to the edge.

According to Wikipedia, the best time to photograph is from 1:00 to 3:00 pm during the summer months, as the light reaches deep into the canyon. We were there in January and the light during sunset is as spectacular as summer months I believe.

The only thing I am not excited about is the results of my photos because I wanted to take the whole frame of the bend but even in my wide angle lens (18 mm), I couldn’t really take the view perfectly. You will need a very wide angle lens to photograph the bend in its entirety. You might need a wide angle lens like 8 to 10 mm maybe to capture the whole panoramic shot. Still, I think the photos we took give a good sense of the place!
jeminigirl says:
I hope so May ;)
Posted on: Sep 05, 2013
cimtech says:
Excellent post!
Posted on: Sep 05, 2013
cotton_foam says:
Cicie: thank you, my friend!

Allie: i will bring you here someday! ;-)
Posted on: Sep 04, 2013
ruben1111 ruben1111
amazing desert views May 31, 2011
If on a road trip to grand canyon, I will suggest driving north into Page, AZ, as they have another canyon tour that allows you to get into the cracks of the land and take great pictures of the sandy walls towering you. BUT, also, before entering page (heading north on the US-89 I believe), there will be a sign on the left hand side of the road that states "horseshoe bend". It will be out in the desert right before entering the town of Page, as you will see it at a close distance. Turn left into the dirt road, park your vehicle and walk along the sandy trail, west, for ten minutes until you hit the edge in which you will come across the horseshoe bend. It is beautifully hidden in the dessert it seems, with amazing blueish.greenish waters of the Colorado River. Amazing for nature lovers.
Horseshoe Bend, Page AZ

Related Travel Blogs About Horseshoe Bend

Horseshoe Bend - View from the Rim
OK, I had been waiting to see this with my own eyes ever since I knew it existed. I was going to get that perfect wide angle shot of the whole bend...or so I thought. We had just gotten back from a … OK, I had been waiting to see this with my own eyes ever since I knew it existed. I was…

Check Page Hotel Deals