Horse Riding Tour

Akureyri, Iceland

Horse Riding Tour Akureyri Reviews

jeff jeff
Feb 17, 2007
The trails between the mountains will literally leave you without words. Getting there was an interesting trek. I landed in Reykyavik and had to get to the local airport. Make sure that you take the bus and not the taxi. You will save about $40. The bus fare should be no more than $10. From the local airport you will walk out onto the airstrip and board a small plane that will take you over the mountains to the North. Once I landed in Akureyri, my journey began. I had no idea how I was going to get to Polar Hestar, where my journeys on horseback would begin. Through talking with some of the people at the airport it seemed that a van would be coming by and pick me up along with a few other of the riders. So I took a walk into the town (about a 10 minute walk). There is a beautiful church, some gift shops, and a few good restaraunts in the town.

Once I got picked up and to the horse riding place I must admit it felt very good. The town is great though and I highly recommend visiting for an afternoon. The horse riding tour lasted 8 days and took us all the way up to the Northern shore. You ride during the day and have free time at night. I hiked when ever I could. My first hike took me up through the mountain behind Polar Hestar. I climbed three waterfalls and three hours. As I looked out over the bay, the breathtaking clouds, and the mountains in the distance, I ate the lunch that I had brought with me. When I was finished I took a drink from the cold glacial river that I was sitting next to. It was serene and still. It was amazing. The tour itself was awesome. I highly recommend it.

After the 8 days I travelled with a friend from the tour. We rented a car and drove 3/4 of the coast of the island. There are endless stories that I will try to expound upon in later notes.

Check Akureyri Hotel Deals