Horse & Groom

www.horseandgroomramsgate.co… - +00 44 (0)1843 587687

Horse & Groom Ramsgate Reviews

planxty planxty
A proper Kentish pub. Sep 25, 2017
If the reader has had a glance at the journal entry to which this review is hopefully attached they will know that during a rather extended stay in Broadstairs I had decided on an afternoon out in nearbly Ramsgate. I had wandered round town, scored myself a a great book in one of the numerous charity shops for the princely sum of £1 and now I was getting thirsty. I knew exactly where I was heading for first although I do know quite a lot of very good pubs and bars (not to mention some pretty awful ones) in the town. I fancied a proper old-fashioned English pub and the Horse and Groom was what was called for.

I know exactly where it is, having drunk in there many times before but the casual visitor may struggle slightly as it is tucked away down a tiny little sidestreet albeit that it is right in the middle of town and a mere three minutes walk from the seafront. Possibly because of this it has retained very much a locals feel and really has not changed much in all the years I have been drinking there.

The pub is part of the Shepherd Neame portfolio and they claim to be the oldest brewery in the UK, based in Faversham which is not too far away, so at least the beer should be fresh! It has a wonderful array of knick-knacks of all descriptions, mis-matched furniture which is not specifically designed for the purpose it is just like that, and a genuine old feel about it which I love.

The old feel is not contrived by some overpaid interior designer, the place really does have a long history as one of the many items on the wall attests. Originally operating under a different name it took it's present title when it acquired the adjacent stable yard which is where the saloon bar / pool room now stands. The rear of the building was also previously a cottage which was annexed many years ago. In an interesting little twist a refurbishment in the 1960's unearthed not only an 18th century farthing (one quarter of a penny in the days before we capitulated to decimalisation) and also a Roman coin. Both aree on display on the item mentioned above along with a potted historyof the place. I am not suggesting the pub is quite as old as the Legions but it was certainly along this stretch of coast that the Romans did eventually land to conquer most of England after the abortive attempt by Julius Caesar some years before.

In a slightly unusual twist for such a quintissentially Kentish pub, the menu (only available on a limited basis) boasts Hungarian food. Anyone for goulash?

I mentioned that the Horse and Groom is a little out of the way but it really is well worth seeking out.

Highly recommended.
planxty says:
I love goulash but it is a long time since I had a proper one. However, I do have some proper smoked paprika at home so who knows? Of course all this pre-supposes that I ver get home!
Posted on: Sep 28, 2017
irenem says:
Sounds good. I'm a big fan of goulash soup and goulash and of course beer.
Posted on: Sep 26, 2017