Homestay Avtandil Zagashvili

Homestay Avtandil Zagashvili - The bathroom

Homestay Avtandil Zagashvili Kazbegi Reviews

HORSCHECK HORSCHECK
Homestay Avtandil Zagashvili Sep 12, 2014
I arrived in Kazbegi at around 18:45 h without having booked any accommodation in advance. Still I was well informed by other travellers and my guidebook about possible options for the night.

The driver and the last two remaining passengers of my shared taxi took a short break here as well. They later continued their trip to the Russian border. As they actually couldn't believe that I came to Kazbegi without any accommodation booking, the driver brought me in contact with one of the locals hanging around at the market square.

It was Avtandil Zagashvili who offered me a single room in his homestay, which was just around the corner from the main square. He drove me the 200 metres to the building and showed me the room in an annexe of his place.

I decided to stay for two nights and we agreed on a price of 25 Lari (ca. 10 Euro) per night including a rich breakfast. In theory I could also book dinner with him, but as I wanted to give the local restaurants in Kazbegi a try I only booked breakfast.

My room was equipped with three beds and some old furniture. I later realised that the bed was probably one of the most uncomfortable ones I ever slept in. Also neither the door to my room nor the front door to the garden could be locked. All this seemed to be quite normal in this part of Georgia, so it all added to the local charm of the place.

There was another traveller staying in a second room with even 5 beds. We shared a bathroom and a kitchen. Hot water was always available from a sort of boiler. Everything was very basic and a bit dated, but absolutely sufficient for my needs.

In the mornings Avtandil's wife prepared a plentiful breakfast with all kinds of hot and cold local dishes. It was way too much for me, but always a good start to an exhausting hiking day.

In the evenings Avtandil came to our rooms and we sat together for a short chat. I was able to communicate in my very basic Russian with him. During the day he hung around the main square looking for new travellers to arrive or offering private taxi services.

As he actually couldn't memorise my name he once called me just "Germania" when he saw me crossing the main square. I found him quite authentic and at times even funny.

All in all I realised that apart from the few hotels, Kazbegi has plenty of possibilities for homestays if that is your kind of thing. People wait at the main square for new customers arriving from Tbilisi.

The Homestay of Avtandil Zagashvili can be found at the corner of the first street to the right just north of the main square. It is located in the very heart of Kazbegi's town centre.
My bedroom
The bathroom
Entrance from the backside
Part of the breakfast
davejo says:
Sounds good
Posted on: Feb 04, 2017
MalenaN says:
I also stayed in a homestay when I visited Kazbegi and I had a very nice time there.
Posted on: Feb 04, 2017