Holyrood Park

0131 652 8150

Holyrood Park Edinburgh Reviews

dougal dougal
Feb 18, 2007
Edinburgh has the distinction of having a sort of mountain stuck slap bang in the middle of it. When I say mountain I suppose I mean very big hill with some steep looking cliffs. And by 'slap bang in the middle' I mean just on the edge of the town centre.

None the less it's in much closer vicinity than anything you'd find in other cities. Apparently it's the result of some volcanic activity way back in time which threw up these impressive looking lava outcrops.

The solution to having such a large edifice in the middle of your city is obviously to build a park around it. Thus within minutes of being right in the heart of Edinburgh you can be strolling along the countryside-esqe roads and pathways of this large grassland or even be making the rather steep looking climb up the summit of Arthur's Seat (as the volcanic outcrop is known in these parts.)

It being a rather cold and blustery day on our visit we declined the opportunity for mountaineering but the park is the ideal place for a leisurely afternoon stroll which seems a very popular pastime for Edinburgians (is that what residents are called?).

Worth a visit if you fancy a casual stroll on a relaxing afternoon.
falling_sideways says:
we usually prefer edinburgers, lol
Posted on: Nov 19, 2007

Related Travel Blogs About Holyrood Park

The Tour May Be Ending BUT the Party Is Just Beginning!
The darkness had already descended on us as we drove southbound away from the southern Highlands. I napped the rest of the journey back to Edinburgh awaking just in time as we crossed the Firth of Fo…Holyrood Park. EDINBURGH BICYCLE TRIATHLON A demanding swim-cycle-run event set in Holyrood Park. It is a fun race…
Edinburgh from Holyrood Park
I ran across this great photo the other day from Remco (SomeRandomGuy) of the Edinburgh skyline taken from Holyrood Park.  I remember being there in 2005 and the way it looked then.  I deci…Edinburgh skyline taken from Holyrood Park .   I remember being there in 2005 and the way it looked then.   I decided…
Edinburgh Castle and Holyrood Park
When one is in Scotland, the Edinburgh Castle is definitely worth the while to visit. It is the most famous of the Scottish castles and has a complex building history. The oldest part, St Margaret's …Holyrood Park located to the south east of the Old Town at the edge of the city center and a walk up the array of hills is highly recommendable. Known…

Check Edinburgh Hotel Deals