Berlin, Germany

Holocaust Memorial Berlin Reviews

skiathos skiathos
Unique and haunting Memorial to the murdered Jews of Europe Jul 31, 2011
There are really mixed reviews on this, but some great pictures. However to appreciate this site, you really need to be there. I especially liked Marcelina1985's review and pictures.

It may not be to everyone's tastes, but I feel the artist/architect achieved his objective in engendering a feeling of loss and confusion amongst visitors, as a way of empathising with the persecuted Jews of Europe.

There is an underground Information Centre on the site, which I think is free, although you are likely to be encouraged to make a donation. Apparently it is on the south-eastern corner and I enclose a link with moving video commentary.

Whatever you think of the site, it is worth a visit as it is just across the way from the Brandenburg Gate and Ebert Str. takes you down to Potsdamer Platz and the Sony Centre.

As commented by another Trav Bud, remember this is a memorial, not just an art work, so please show due respect.

Marked free, as costs nothing to wonder around and through the site.
A confusing and haunting maze
taken from Ebertstr.
skiathos says:
Yeah, me too. It's wierd, but it definitely has something. Next time I'm in Berlin I will try to leave time to go to the Information Centre.
Posted on: Jul 30, 2011
mosted says:
I've been there too some years ago. I "liked" it and especially kids seemed to do aswell, cause they were climbing it. I think parents should pay more attention in this case.
Posted on: Jul 30, 2011
marcelina1985 marcelin…
Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe Apr 30, 2011
The Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe (also known as Holocaust Memorial) is one of the newest symbols of Berlin.

It consists of over 2700 concrete slabs that create a kind of unique labyrinth. Moreover the floor at the whole area has a waving character and particular slabs have different heights.

This memorial was created by an american architect Peter Eisenman, whose vision was to build a place which will make people feel confused and lost and thanks to that show what persecuted people felt during the times of Holocaust.

Prices:

There are no entry tickets

Controversies:

Lots of people give this Memorial a negative feedback, describing it as "unnecessary" or "strange".

The truth is however that such an original installation will always have to deal with different opinions.

Personally I felt exactly the way Peter Eisenman wanted people to feel - lost and uncertain. I think I understand his vision quite well and highly reccomend to see this memorial.
Holocaust Memorial from the inside
Holocaust Memorial from the inside
skiathos says:
A brilliant set of photos, I wish mine had turned out like this. I know what you mean about the feeling you get there. I think Peter Eisenman achieved his objective.
Posted on: Jul 29, 2011
cavlizzy says:
check out my pics on this one. my little ones make these look really huge. :^)
Posted on: Jun 02, 2011
cynthiasmiller cynthias…
Memorial to murdered European Jews Jan 10, 2011
This memorial is about halfway between the Brandenburger Tor and Potsdamer Platz, and coming across it can feel like stepping into an M.C. Escher painting. Enjoy the beautiful design, but remember that it's a memorial, not a playground, so ensure proper respects are paid.
Dr_Seuss Dr_Seuss
Lacks Significance May 17, 2010
While it may be impressive in size, it covers 4.7 acres, and has a novelty value in the differing sizes of the blocks and the paths that slope up and down as you walk between them, there is little here to acknowledge what it actually represents.

As I sais to TB Vances, if someone had told me it was a bit of modern art, I would have bought that line.

Having taken so long to actually place a memorial, there isn't even anything like a Star Of david on any of the blocks, they are just plain black blocks. Most folk will come to it from the Brandenburg Gate side and past the US Embassy, but the information centre is away on the furthest corner from there.

It's not highly visible, even if you've wandered round that far and it is closed on Mondays, the day we went, so I can't comment on what it is like inside. Just round from it there is a small insignificant sign that tells you what this is.

Despite police being around, and signs asking people to respect the memorial, with a list of DO NOT instructions, you found people playing hide and seek in amongst the blocks, and other folk jumping across the top of them like big stepping stones.

Obviously some effort to put there in the first place, but to me it lacked the reverence of it's purpose.
The Only Sign On The Site
Paths Between The Blocks
Dr_Seuss says:
It is sarah, unless you actually knew what it was meant to be you would never guess :-(
Posted on: Jun 10, 2010
sarahsan says:
When they make the effort to put up a memorial like this, it´s sad that it isn´t obvious what it´s for!
Posted on: Jun 10, 2010
CFD CFD
Jan 02, 2008
It took Berlin 60years to open a Holocaust Memorial. There have been several critics saying that the Anti graffiti coating that the memorial is coated with is made by the same company that made Zyclon-B gas for the gas chambers in the Holocaust 60years ago. How Ironic isn't that?

Its very easy to get lost inside the memorial and in the middle its always shade and colder than the outside. Its truly a exciting , yet chilling experience.

Related Travel Blogs About Holocaust Memorial

Berlin and the Third Reich
I went on a walking tour today that specialized in the Third Reich. It was very interesting to hear some of the unknown stories of how Hitler came to power, and how he was basically insane by the end…memorial (which is not very liked by most Berliners), The Holocaust Memorial, Hitler's bunker where he commited suicide (it's now a dirty…
Road to Berlin
Buttery, sugary, doughy morsel of goodness complete with cranberries and frosting. I love these things and I'm glad I can't get them at home because I would weigh 300 pounds. Meredith, Brad, and Ell…Berlin's Holocaust memorial. The memorial, disliked by some because of its large size, is a maze of pillars symbolizing…
berlin and it's wall
so it is my bday morning...now 29 .....happy bday to my twin blake...wish he could be here too.. we started off the day an hour later...thankfully...after yesterdays drive...everyone needed the e…berlin wall, the holocaust memorial, museum island, where hitler's bunker was, and consequently the general location where he took…

Check Berlin Hotel Deals