Hollywood Sign

Los Angeles, California

Hollywood Sign Los Angeles Reviews

austin37335 austin37…
A hike to the Hollywood Sign Jun 28, 2011
As we arrived in LA I knew there was something I wanted to do during the week we were there. To hike to the Hollywood Sign! I had done some research on the internet so I had a rough idea of what my plan would be.

So up early one beautiful California morning I crept out of our hotel room trying not to disturb Julie, I jumped into the car and headed to Franklin Avenue and turned up Beachwood Drive. I kept going as far up Beachwood as possible until eventually the road ran out and I pulled into a small parking area near Sunset Ranch.

It was 7.30am and I had read that this parking area gets full very early on but there were still a couple of places left. It was already warm as I started walking the Hollywood Trail past Sunset Ranch. It wasn't long before the fabulous views over Los Angeles started to appear. Although some early morning mist lingered and there was a haze across the city, the views past Griffith Observatory and across LA were breathtaking. The walk took much longer than it needed to because every couple of yards I kept stopping to photograph and video the view. I was joined by the occasional jogger and horse rider but otherwise it was completely peaceful.

Before long I spotted the turn I had read about, a sharp left turn off the trail up a steep hill. From this point on there were no horses, they kept to the main path and this was narrow and dusty. It wasn't long before the next turn, a right onto tarmac. Although closed to public traffic, this is the service road for the transmitters located next to the Hollywood Sign at the top of the hill. At first it appeared like I was walking away from the sign, but the road wound its way round until it was clear that I was now behind he sign and climbing towards it. From here the views over Burbank, Van Nuys and beyond were simply stunning. The mist was burning off now and I could see for miles.

The road kept climbing and twisting up the hill until eventually I caught my first glimpse of the sign. I had made it! Although the sign was safely fenced off I was as close to it as I was going to get. Looking out past the sign over Hollywood, Bel Air, and Beverley Hills it struck me that here I was looking down on one of the busiest cities on earth and yet I was alone and in silence. I climbed a little higher, onto a ridge - the highest point and sat on a rock and sipped my water and took in the view, enjoying the moment.

It wasn't long before I was joined by a crowd of hikers, but I didn't mind, I had had my moment with one of the most recognisable landmarks anywhere in the world so I set off on my way back down and left them to have theirs.
My first hazy view across LA
The Hollywood Trail
Winding my way up
The road to the sign
Nair2011 Nair2011
Close close closer... May 17, 2011
Turned on GPS, search for directions for Hollywood sign and started the car... After taking turns and turns reached Mulholland Hwy 6100W. Oh... An yellow sign board stating no access to Hollywood sign.. Another blind direction from GPS?

Decided to return and about to turn back.. Seen a lady walking into Mulholland Hwy after parking her car road side.. When checked with her she told us as long as you dont trek onto hollywood sign you are ok to walk on the lane..

Thought of giving a try.. Walked on the lane behind her.. Another sign Trespassing is prohibited by law.. Though worried thinking of sign, trusted and followed her..

Wow.. Amazing... Dream came true... What a view of Hollywood sign.. May happen once in lifetime.. I am blessed..
Famous Hollywood Sign
The lane leads to Hollywood sign
Famous Hollywood Sign
Warning Sign
nik2blessed says:
awesome my friend! i've been before too =)
Posted on: Apr 27, 2012
mrkrueger13 mrkruege…
So you can grab that cheesy photo Mar 16, 2011
So many ways to get to it but the most direct is taking Beachwood Ave. North from Franklin Ave. There are many trails to choose from or if you are feeling touristy... rent a horse and make the poor thing haul you up for your shot. But to actually touch the sign is illegal. I may or may not know the "secret way"... but that information is classified. Hehe. Best days to visit are on clear days so you can feel like you are enjoying the fresh air and not inhaling smog.
travdillon travdill…
great view Jul 09, 2011
Although it's forbidden to touch the sign itself, you can get close to it. The hiking trails around the mountain are beautiful and getting to the top is really worth it and not too difficult. The view of los angeles from the top is priceless. Unless there's a lot of smog that day.

Related Travel Blogs About Hollywood Sign

Monterey CA, USA to Monterrey, NL, Mexico Road trip
After 3 good days in Los Angeles, visiting Venice beach, Hollywood BLVD, Hollywood sign and Batman Cave, it is time to return to our base.. Monterrey, Mexico. Decided to drive back in the same route …Los Angeles, visiting Venice beach, Hollywood BLVD, Hollywood sign and Batman Cave, it is time to return to our base…

Check Los Angeles Hotel Deals