Hogwallow Preserve

Ave 314, Lindcove, CA, USA

Hogwallow Preserve Lindcove Reviews

X_Drive X_Drive
Only a draw to a very few. Jan 23, 2011
This is not Disneyland, The Mall of America, or a National Park, but for a few people curious about what land used to be like here in the San Joaquin Valley it may be a place that is exactly what they are looking for. Being in the middle of the San Joaquin valley which is so heavily agricultural, it is so rare to find a 10 acre parcel on land that has never been plowed, planted, or disturbed in any way.

Hog wallows are sometimes called mima mounds and are a rolling ground where the tunneling of the resident groundhogs causes water to settle directly beneath the ground surface. Vernal Pools are shallow depressions that fill with water during winter rains. Water accumulates below the soil surface and above a layer of hardpan or impermeable substance, creating a seasonally perched water table. Water is prevented from percolating underground so evaporation is the only means of escape. If you are one of those people who find this fun or interesting you would probably make your rating a little higher, but for the rest of us, a quick look would suffice.

We came back to visit and see how it looked in mid October, even though the temperatures have not dropped very much this year. It was still 85 F. As you can see from the few extra photos we took, this is still an untouched and unwelcome piece of land.
kevinhongkong says:
This reminds me of a little piece of land that my local FFA owned near my hometown - surrounded by dairy farms and corn fields. This little piece of land was maintained to be like natural prairie land, which it was before settlement and agriculture. One year I experienced it up close as we had to burn fires some years to give it a natural prairie lifecycle.

While not a tourist draw, it is good that little pieces of undisturbed environs exist here and there. :)
Posted on: Dec 19, 2011

Related Travel Blogs About Hogwallow Preserve

The Hogwallow Preserve
This is an overhead satellite view from Google earth.  I have no clue what year it was taken, but from all the clues, like size of trees, color of ground, etc, I feel it was taken in late summer… This is an overhead satellite view from Google earth.  I have no clue what year it was taken, but…
The Hogwallow Preserve
Not long ago someone suggested to me to find more local places of interest.  And while I was visiting the nearby community of Exeter to update my blog on their wonderful murals I found one that … Not long ago someone suggested to me to find more local places of interest.  And while I was visiting…

Check Lindcove Hotel Deals