Munich, Germany

Hofbrauhaus Munich Reviews

Mixal Mixal
Munich's brewery Sep 26, 2011
Located at the very centre of the city, Hofbrauhaus isn't just a brewery, it's an event. It is one of the most popular places in Munich- and for a reason. And no, the reason is not just beer :), it is also a place with nice food, entertaining stage performances and a great atmosphere.

The hall is huuuge and really nice. If you don't like beer culture & everything, you can walk around and read a bit about history of Horbrauhas'(& Munich).

I was especially amused by a large group of Japanese tourists who got drunk after one glass of beer, but they definitely added to already heated atmosphere :)

Also beware of the waiters - they tried to cheat many people in my group!
brettjayhawk brettjay…
Hofbräuhaus Jan 12, 2011
We stopped in Munich for 6 hours and we had talked about visiting the Hofbräuhaus but didn't know how to get there. We were walking around down streets and just happened to stumble upon it!

We walked around and finally found a spot to sit. One of the lasting memories I'll have was after we sat down a bigger man fell back out of his seat he was so drunk!

The waitresses were dressed in lederhosen and they served us the giant pretzels. Its the best beer I've ever drank. I bought a shirt and stein and love drinking my beers out of it. We only get bottle hofbra in the US and its almost as good as I remember.

There is a lot of history in this building as well!
Hofbrauhaus - It was cold outside!
peppertm peppertm
Hofbrauhaus Jul 17, 2009
Hofbrauhaus is everything you’d imagine a Bavarian beer hall to be, complete with servers in Lederhosen, wooden tables with benches, Oompah band playing music, beer served in 1 litre glass steins, and big pretzels to soak up all that beer with. Add on top of that German drinking songs and salutations, and you get one of Munich’s top tourist attractions, the world’s most famous beer hall, and one enjoyable night. Established in 1589 as the Royal Brewery of the Kingdom of Bavaria, Hofbrauhaus has a long history, complete with being the site of some of Hitler’s meetings. Some of the long, wooden tables in the hall have been there for over 100 years, there are beer lockers for the regulars who want to keep their steins in a safe place, and there are as many locals as there are tourists (according to the regular visitor I sat with). The food and the beer was good, but the atmosphere was what made it so memorable.
skiathos says:
This is one I want to visit some time!
Posted on: Jul 25, 2011
eggchels says:
Good review and love this place!
Posted on: Apr 25, 2011
dothoin says:
love the hofbrauhaus great atmosphere and so bavarian and touristy but who cares?
Posted on: Jan 09, 2010
Travelbuddys Travelbu…
Beer, Beer and Beer!! And Pretzels Jan 29, 2009
The place you must see when your in Munich, we spent time there at Christmas, we had a great time. If your not a beer drinker stay out!! (well you can watch for a minute!!). Try the german weisswurst with the beer its real traditional food and goes perfect with the big glasses of Beer.!!

Four o'clock in the morning is when production of home-made Weisswurst, or white sausage, begins at the Hofbräuhaus. This Munich delicacy was invented on a Sunday in 1857 during Carnival time by a local butcher, and is an essential item on the Hofbräuhaus menu. As far as the seasoning is concerned, each butcher has his own, very secret recipe. The ones at the Hofbräuhaus seem to be especially delicious: if you put all the Weisswurst sausages consumed here in one year end to end, they'd cover a distance of 20 kilometers.

The doors open to the public each day from 9 a.m. onward. Even at Christmas time, the place is always open.

The Hofbräuhaus can accommodate 3000 people. At the heart of the place is the so-called "Schwemme", or taproom. There used to be brewing equipment here – now it has room for 1000 beer-drinkers.
world-traveller123 says:
I remember going here. Amazing beer.
Posted on: Dec 21, 2009
Flyinhigh says:
If there's beer...I'm there!
Posted on: Feb 07, 2009
Chokk Chokk
The Beer-Mecca of Munich May 13, 2009
If there is one place in Munich which is associated with beer and the beer festivals of Munich; then it must be the hofbrauhaus.

This place is a picture of all the Bavarian beer festivals in one place. The place is huge and numerous of benches are lined up to serve all the thirsting people who are continuous singing to the Bavarian band which is playing in the centre of the house.

I am told that the ambiance is there every day and it was certainly there when I visited it on a Wednesday evening. Hundreds of party seekers had an excellent evening. At least you have to walk the place even though you don't feel like staying
JudgeDredd JudgeDre…
"A Must When Visiting München" Apr 04, 2009
If you are in München you must stop in at the Hofbräuhaus! Even if it is just to walk around and take in the atmosphere. There are far better places to drink for much less, but the Hofbräuhaus is a fun experience even if some may find it too touristy.

if you go on a busy night it will take awhile to find a table. Best thing to do is find one with a few open seats and just invite yourself to join whoever is at the table, chances are you will end up having a great conversation with fellow travelers.
Hofbräuhaus, München.
Hofbräuhaus, München.
alyssa_ob alyssa_ob
The best beer hall in Munich Mar 20, 2008
If you want to experience a German beer hall, visit the Hofbrauhaus. It is a bit touristy, but you can still find a lot of locals there as well. It is often crowded, no matter what time of day you go. You often have to share a table with another group, but that is how it works in Germany. You seat yourself where ever you can find room. Most people there are friendly and willing to share a table, at least all the German speaking people I have asked.

They have a band that plays during meal hours and barmaids that carry lots of mugs of beer in each hand. You can go for just beer and pretzels or you can order off the menu. The Wurst platter is delicious! It is a fun atmosphere and a great place to stop for food and drink. This is a must see in Munich.
Wurst platter
Hofbrauhaus front
Hofbrauhaus interior
Ein Bier!
mab05006 mab05006
Apr 17, 2007
One of the traditional Bavarian scenes, steins, oompa band, saurkraut, sausages, everything German! This has been my favorite destination to date and I would highly recommend anyone who is anywhere near Munich to reserve a night to spend here. It is terrific! I went with a bus tour that I was one but met Germans, Brazilians, and other Americans all in one night under one roof and had some great conversation with all of them. The food and drinks are amamzing also! The pork knuckles were a favorite amoung the peple in my group and I personally greatly enjoyed the house dark beer!

The night I visited there was a traditional band playing and the culture was so evident dispite the international croud. The prices aren't the cheapest out there, but not unreasonably either (I don't remember the meals, but the beer steins were abut 7 euro, for a liter of beer). I stayed through dinner and till close and I'm sure you will to when you visit.
This was my meal at the Hofbrauhaus
dmfairbairn dmfairba…
Aug 09, 2007
And if you do drink, like me, you'll have the time of your life! The atmosphere in the Hofbrauhaus seems to promote excessive drinking. With the traditional polka band, the huge stiens of beer, and the beautiful pretzel girls, you'll be hard off to leave there sober.

**And now for a little history**

The Hofbrauhaus is a world famous beer hall, founded in 1589. It was a major rallying point for Hitler and his Nazi's before the second world war, but was nearly completely destroyed by allied bombers in 1944 (sorry, I'm fanatical about WWII history). If you like beer, great food, friendly people, and a great story, go to the Hofbrauhaus!!
My mates and I three stiens deep w…
nyg5011 says:
It looks absolutely amazing!!! I checked out its website, and thanks to you, plan on going there when i finally plan and take my trip. Do you know of any good restaurants in Austria or Italy too? Many thanks for your insight :)
Posted on: Aug 10, 2007
SpiralingxMind Spiralin…
Apr 15, 2007
Even if you don't drink, like me, the Hofbrauhaus is so much fun. At least stop in and see- the steins as big as your head, the traditional decor, the band and the waitresses! I didn't eat there, but I heard the food was amazing, especially their wienerschnitzel... check their website for a menu. Don't forget to stop into the gift shop for some merchandise- I bought a sweatshirt there two years ago and it's still amazingly warm and comfy!
The entrance to the Hofbrauhaus Mu…
Eric says:
Didn't go here, but went to the Hofbrau tent during Oktoberfest. Great beer!
Posted on: Apr 15, 2007
yakdav yakdav
Aug 11, 2007
The quintessential Munich beer hall - touristy but still the one to go to in the city center.

Check Munich Hotel Deals