Hilton St. Louis at the Ballpark

Hilton St. Louis at the Ballpark Rates and Deals

Hilton St. Louis at the Ballpark Saint Louis Reviews

jennjeff1 jennjeff1
Twin Towers in Downtown Saint Louis Mar 21, 2011
This is the first Hilton Hotel I’ve stayed at in America since 2007 and I was impressed enough to join the Hilton Honors frequent guest program. I’d probably stay here again while on business in Saint Louis since it was better than my Embassy Suites Old Town Saint Louis stay in 2007. The Hilton Hotel at the Ballpark should not be confused with the Hilton Hotel Downtown which is just a couple blocks over on Olive and 4th Streets--also within walking distance of Busch Stadium.

This Hilton Hotel is fancy with valet parking, 2 bars, large convention/meeting room spaces, a big business center with internet enabled computers/printers, a couple of restaurants (including its own pizza place which I did not try) with room service, and access to a self-park parking lot across from Busch Stadium. The $18/day self-parking included in/out privileges and was a few bucks cheaper than the Hyatt down the street for parking. Hilton also has another hotel property down the street a couple blocks, so be sure to know which Hilton Hotel is yours when arriving in Saint Louis. A Jack & Coke will set you back about $14 with $1 tip at the bar—but the bar staff is very friendly and chatty. The concierge was helpful and they also have an electronic local guide for guests. The sundry sales collocated with Starbuck’s Coffee had orange juice 7 out of 8 days during my stay—OJ is very important to me since I do not drink coffee so it was sad when I had to go without on my last day of business. The reception staff was also friendly, although I thought they should have more than 2 people working the front desk during peak check-in times which caused a long wait for me—although staff member “Mark” was kind enough to get me a good room upgrade and 2 free days of parking as compensation for the long check-in wait.

The hotel is having some spring construction but it was not noisy for guests. They are adding a rooftop bar to the East Tower and a new generator to the roof of the West tower using a huge crane that can reach the 25-story roof. The elevators on the West Tower were very slow and the new elevators on the East Tower have a fancy electronic keypad which is confusing, especially for older guests who can afford to stay here. It also failed once while I was staying here for 8 days in March 2011, requiring 3 fire trucks worth of firemen to get the elevator going again. I was checking out on the 29th, a Tuesday, but the night prior I got a note under my door stating that there were only 29 guests remaining in the West Tower and the manager included a coupon for a free coffee at the Starbuck’s place in the hotel so they could evacuate the tower for safety during a scheduled power outage to install the new generator on the West Tower to solve the East Tower elevator failure problems. Unfortunately, I don’t drink coffee and was unable to use the $5 coupon—but the manager thanked me personally when I vacated the room early before the scheduled power outage.

My West Tower room was very quiet despite the roof construction and I had a partial view of Busch Stadium. It was also just a 5 minute walk to the Jefferson Expansion Memorial/Saint Louis Arch. With the NCAA Tournament in town, it was a bit noisy when the Michigan Pep Band came through overnight and the West Tower seemed to have a ton of college students being themselves in “party mode.” There was also several “cable guys” running around installing new cable in the guest rooms which was noticeable but not noisy at all. I did have 3 maintenance problems with my room when I checked in which were repaired soon after I reported them, however, the sink faucet handle broke again before my stay was up.

I was also impressed with the choice of nearby restaurants like Carmine’s Steak House, Ruth Chris’ Steak House, Broadway Oyster Bar (char-grilled oysters with parmesan and great blues bands), Lecleade’s Landing/Old Town Saint Louis Morgan’s Microbrewery (they even had Dusseldorf Alt Beer like in Germany), White Castle and several other places from cheap to expensive. I walked to the Scott Trade Arena for a Blues NHL Hockey game and to Union Station, which has a large mall and a Hard Rock Café. I could also catch the Metro to any part of town, including the airport for under $3.50. It was a quick walk to the Arch and Mississippi River for carriage rides and riverboat gambling casinos, but I did not try these on this business trip.

Unfortunately, I wanted to stay at this same hotel to get the Hilton Honors points in May 2011, but all the rooms at my rate were booked already. I think if I stayed here again I would take the Metro from Lambert Field Airport to avoid the parking fees of $18/day for self-parking. I'd also try to stay at the Hilton Hotel Downtown just a few blocks away to compare between the two. I was able to walk to the Arch, several blues bars on Broadway/White Castle, Union Station, Scott Trade Arena and Lacleade's Landing/Old Town Saint Louis area--but I would have to drive to get to Budweiser for a tour.

PLUSES:

+ Huge business center with several internet-connected computers with a printer

+ Good location with many nearby restaurants and attractions

+ 2 Double beds with high-end sheets/pillows for comfort

+ Sundry sales with orange juice and a Starbuck’s Coffee in hotel lobby

+ Metro stop and Busch Stadium within easy walking distance across parking lot

+ Helpful and friendly desk staff

+ Self-parking and valet parking

MINUSES:

- Bar drinks are very expensive

- Construction caused elevator failure and safety evacuation of my room, but received a $5 Starbuck’s coupon

- I did not appreciate the crane operator texting and napping while operating this heavy machinery

- Long wait at check-in but received appropriate compensation

Overall, I would stay at the Hilton Hotels in Saint Louis again—at least for the Hilton Honors frequent guest program points. I enjoyed my stay at the Hilton Downtown Ballpark more than Embassy Suites Old Town in 2007, but I will have to stay at the Hyatt during my next trip to Saint Louis due to room availability--then I can compare all 3 hotels.
Hilton Hotel Ballpark Saint Louis …
jennjeff1 says:
Thanks to everyone who smiled and voted for my hotel review!
mslellen says:
Congrats on the feature! :D
KeikoCreative says:
Congrats on your featured!
sweetsummerdaiz sweetsum…
Great deal, great location, great view. Sep 10, 2009
I booked on priceline in April for this trip - great deal for $50 a night.

Checkin was a breeze, the lobby was beautifully done in a muted baseball theme; location (especially for baseball fans) was wonderful. From the hotel's Starbucks patio patrons can see inside Busch Stadium.

Elevators were fast. The room was nicely appointed though I was surprised to see two full-sized beds instead of queen, but that didn't matter to me. Bathroom is a tight squeeze in the shower area but, again, that didn't bother me, it was very clean!

Great view from my room - Full view of the Old Courthouse and about 70% of the Arch.

Guests have free internet access in the business center to check email, a nice perk I wasn't expecting.

Pool area was also clean though I looked at it and didn't use it. There is also a self-serve laundry area adjacent to the pool area. The fitness center is also in the same vicinity and it, too, appeared to be complimentary.

Very hot water for showers at any time in the morning.

Rooms have Cuisinart coffee makers and LaVassa (Italian coffee) pods (for free). My only complaint is that the styro-foam cups smelled and tasted like Crabtree and Evelyn soap - so instead I used the porcelain mugs and all was good.

Normally the Hilton Honors rewards are not awarded on wholesale priceline purchases, but I sat in the hotel bar and had a couple of beers, charged them to my room, and voila'! I get an email from their marketing department telling me that they made and exception and credited my entire room purchase with Honor Reward points, nice!

Valet parking is available for $24 daily.

The location of this hotel is fantastic! Close to everything - Laclede's Landing, Metro, The Arch, museums, restaurants, Busch Stadium, etc.

There was a home Cardinals game while I was there. On the starbuck's patio there is a live band that plays late. Since my room was facing the arch I didn't hear a peep of music as it played into the night, which was great.
View from room 1009.
malthen malthen
Nice hotel with city views May 22, 2009
I stayed at the Hilton Ballpark hotel in May of 2009. It is a very nice hotel with a friendly staff. There are two towers, one of which seems to be older than the other. Both were clean, but one is far superior. The rooms were large with all the usual hotel amenities. The beds were comfortable and the bathrooms are what you would expect from a hotel of this nature. The breakfast buffet was quite nice with a good variety. The views of the ballpark and the surrounding structures were impressive. Main issue with the hotel is that there really aren't that many restaurants around.

Hilton St. Louis at the Ballpark Overview

The many key university campuses of Missouri are just minutes away from this accommodation in Saint Louis, which is centered and convenient to all major aspects and destinations of the area. Those staying at the Hilton Hotel Ballpark Saint Louis who have come to experience the lighter, more laid-back side of the Midwest are within a short distance of the Anheuser-Busch Brewery, Busch Stadium, Six Flags, the Gateway Arch, Westport Plaza, Ameristar Casino, Edward Jones Dome, and the Verizon Amphitheater. The working crowd will enjoy close proximity to the key financial and commercial districts within the downtown and corporate areas as well as the Scott Trade Center and the American Convention Center. Guests of the Hilton Hotel Ballpark Saint Louis are within five miles of the airport and are offered car parking onsite. Transportation can be arranged at the front desk.

Guests of the Hilton Hotel Ballpark Saint Louis enjoy wireless Internet access, cable television, direct-dial telephones, room service, guest laundry assistance, and working areas.

The Hilton Hotel Ballpark Saint Louis offers a bar, a lounge, and a restaurant, as well as ample business and meeting centers, a fitness center, a whirlpool, and a swimming pool.

Hilton St. Louis at the Ballpark Amenities

• Exhibit Space
  • Wheel Chair Access
  • Fitness Facilities
  • Jacuzzi
  • Internet Connection (wireless)
  • Shower