Hill of Tara - Ireland

Tara, Ireland

Hill of Tara - Ireland Reviews

koala koala
Hill of Tara - Hill of the King Apr 17, 2008
My brother called it a golf course because all you can see are just green hills. Well, I find this spot very nice because it is very peaceful and a great view from up there.

All you can see now are a few mounds but it is not just about what you can see it is also about this highly significant cultural and historical site. In the middle is a standing stone, which is believed to be the Stone of Destiny (Lia Fáil) at which the High Kings were crowned. According to legend, the stone would scream if a series of challenges were met by the would-be king. At his touch the stone would let out a screech that could be heard all over Ireland. Those mounds dates between between 2500 BC and 3000 BC. The Mound of the Hostages is the oldest monument.

Many people are protesting against the state plans to build a four-lane motorway (M3) through this valley of Ireland's most sacred stretch which was and I guess still is the mythical and ceremonial capital of Ireland.

Related Travel Blogs About Hill of Tara - Ireland

Impressions of Europe
Hopefully I'll remember all the towns I've visited. (The pictures are from the Basque Country.) SPAIN (2000, 2008, 2016): Beautiful and diverse country with amazing culture, food and wine. Bar…Ireland. The Hill of Tara is the ancient capital site of Ireland. Beautiful countryside, that may one day be invaded…
Trim Castle and the Hill of Tara
     First on our itineray (yes folks we had an itineray because I am the most anal retentive impulsive person you will ever meet) was Trim Castle. The castle sits right next to t…Hill of Tara which was the spiritual and political center of Ireland until about the 11th century. Tara
Hill of Tara - Ireland Map