Hill of Slane

(01) 845 5272

Hill of Slane Reviews

koala koala
Hill of Slane Apr 14, 2008
On top of the Hill of Slane are the ruins of a Franciscan Monastery built in 1512 and Saint Patrick's Church. The ruins include a 19 metre high early gothic tower. The friary was abandoned in 1723. It is said that in the 5th century Saint Patrick came here to the Hill of Slane in his attempt to convert pagan Ireland to the light of christianity. As the Druids celebrated their feast day on the Hill of Tara, St. Patrick prepared the Easter feast - lit a bonfire - on the Hill of Slane. Until today they still have bonfires for Easter on this hill.

Even I am afraid of heights I had to climb the close, narrow spiral stone staircase to the peak of the tower and had a long look at the landscapes. It took me a while to get down again - I was kind of crawling down the stairs.... :-)

Fantastic and very peaceful place!

Well worth a visit! No Fees!!
koala says:
Thank you Christl3 for your nice comment. :-)
Posted on: Apr 05, 2013
christl3 says:
Regretfully, i forgot my camera the day we went to the top of this hill but the views are fabulous and you're right, it's very peaceful. The ruins are spectacular.
Posted on: Apr 05, 2013

Related Travel Blogs About Hill of Slane

Ruins on the Hill of Slane
Unlike the first day in Ireland, the second was a rainy, cold day so I have rented a car and driven to the countryside. First stop was in Drogheda but it was raining so hard that I couldn't see … Unlike the first day in Ireland, the second was a rainy, cold day so I have rented a car and…
day seven - One jam-packed day in the friendliest, coolest, most fun and amazing city of Dublin!
I woke with a start in my top bunk at Barnacles hostel, a little disoriented and totally oblivious to the time. From what I could see, it was still early as all the beds around me were still filled. …Hill of Slane, Kildare, Killarney,... But for now, I am very happy I had this chance to visit (even…

Check Slane Hotel Deals