Hiking in Ilha Grande

Ilha Grande, Brazil

Hiking in Ilha Grande Reviews

MalenaN MalenaN
Hike to Lopes Mendes Beach Jan 28, 2017
The trail from Vila do Abraão to Lopes Mendes is around 6km long. It is a beautiful hike where you will be surrounded by lush green vegetation and pass a couple of beaches along the way. The path goes up and down and there are roots, stones and tree trunks to walk over. For me the hike took two hours, one way.

The trail starts at the eastern side of the beach in Abraão and it is easy to find. It is also easy to find the right way to Lopes Mendes as there are signposts where it is needed. From Abraão to Palmas Beach it took one hour. At Palmas Beach there are a few restaurants and you can also find accommodation. It’s a nice and tranquil place.

From Palmas to the next beaches, which are Mangues and Pouso, it took half an hour. If you take a taxi boat to Lopes Mendes it is at Pouso Beach they stop, and not at Lopes Mendes. From Pouso there is another 20 minutes to walk, over the hill, to the Atlantic side of the island and Lopes Mendes, a 3 km long white sandy beach. I visited in June which is not the high season. There were people there but not a lot and most of the beach was empty. It is a beautiful place.

On my way back to Abraão I stopped at a restaurant on Palmas Beach to drink a bear (it was BRL 6 in June 2016). When leaving Palmas Beach I didn’t remember that I had arrived along the left path going uphill. Instead I took the path to the right. After a while I thought it must be wrong as I hadn’t walked this close to the sea before. I didn’t turn around but soon came to a hostel/camping, than turned around and walked back to take the right track. The detour hadn’t taken more than 15 minutes.

At my hotel in Abraão they told me it is safe to walk the trail alone.

If you are returning to Abraão by foot you must remember to leave in time, so it doesn’t get dark before you are back in town.
MalenaN says:
Yes, it is a very nice and tranquil island! Thank you Aleksandra for comments and smiles!
Posted on: Mar 19, 2017
Thank you Holger! :)
Posted on: Feb 04, 2017
Foster90 Foster90
Hike to Lopes Mendes Sep 09, 2015
We were staying in Abraao in ihla grande. The walk/hike to the beach took us around 3 hours maybe a bit less. Take water/snacks with you and wear trainers, i did it in flip flops and believe me i would not do it again haha. The views are amazing and when you finally reach the beach its so beautiful and peaceful. The sand is like icing sugar and the water so blue. There is also a ferry which we got back which costs about £3 and takes around 40 minutes.

WARNING - there are no toilets on the beach and only 1 small stall which sells drinks/beer and crisps, so prepare a packed lunch.
Foster90 Foster90
Hike to the top of the island to watch the sun rise Sep 09, 2015
I strongly recommend this! Im not one for hiking normally but managed to do this. You get up at 2am along with a group and 2 guides with head torches. How long it takes depends on how fit you are i suppose, theres no steps or path as such more organic so claiming over roots of trees and rocks. For example I'm not very fit and it took us 3 hours and the view from the top was sooo worth it, i do recommend taking a jumper/jacket though as its freezing at the top! We went with a company called sunrise pioneers who were amazing. They were so helpful and friendly and accommodating to everyones pace. They also film the sunrise and take photos which they send you afterwards. The price was around £24, check the link below for photos/videos.

evelynm evelynm
Don't miss the waterfall! Mar 31, 2011
I love love loved hiking in Ilha Grande!! Don't miss out!!

I recommend starting with a quick walk to the Praia Preta (black beach) and checking out the old prison and the beautiful beach area.

On a separate trip, make the 1.5 hour hike to the waterfall inland on the island, it was beautiful! Along the way there are several great lookouts and a natural pool. After the waterfall, head to the beach with the same name (another 30 minutes) and from there you can catch a boat back or hike an alternative route (most of the way) back!

I highly recommend wearing shoes, bringing water, bugspray, and a flashlight. It's not an easy stroll, so be prepared to sweat!

Related Travel Blogs About Hiking in Ilha Grande

An introduction, planning and packing for my trip
First blog post! Hello everyone and welcome to my new travel blog. I'm Liz, Elizabeth or Lizzie, otherwise known as lizfairy to those who have followed me here from an external link. ;) First of all,…Ilha Grande, snorkelling and diving, hiking, beach 18th leave Abraao, 10:00 to get to Angra dos Reis…
How far would you hike for a nice beach??
What a lovely little place this is....from the hustle and bustle of Sao Paulo, this is perfect for kicking back and chill out. Got the ferry over from Angra Dois Reis with Dixie and Ad…Ilha Grande, but it was great to chill out...although we decided to put ourselves through tha pain barrier with a 14 kilometre round trip hike
Sun & Sea
Hi again, We´re on Ilha Grande, an island off the coast of Rio de Janerio state, this place is amazing.  There is pristine rainforest, gorgeous beaches and cute little monkeys.  Took a lo…Ilha Grande. On our full day on the island did a hike to Lopes Mendes often voted the best…

Check Ilha Grande Hotel Deals